• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced home-owner assocation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kawill

Hello,

I live in rural North Carolina and on a non state supported road. There is about 25 homes on land lots from 5 to 200 acres. We have one home owner trying to start a home owners assocation here. Not all want to join.

My question. Can someone force a home owner to join a post purchase home owners aassocation? There was no arrangments for this when we bought here. The whole reason for this is to force people to pay for the up keep of the road. This person is aginst the state taking over the road.

Any info would be great.

Thanks, Keith

FlyingRon

You'd need a lawyer (you'll want one to start the HOA anyhow).
I'm not sure you can force him to join.
Who owns the road?
I'm almost positive it doesn't take a unanimous approval to get the state to take over the road, however.
Are there any covenants on these lots that provide for the eventual establishment of an HOA?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">