• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Partition Options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daleneedsadvise

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

How can you fight forced partition?

Several years ago my mother in law and my wife purchased a home for joint habitation. We sold ours and moved in, my mother in law chose not to, extending her financial circumstance significantly. We have maintained the home, and reside in it as our homestead. Mother in law remains out of state and seeks the liquidation of the property, to which we are opposed (house is over the $600K mark, and this market is highly depressed, selling time is terrible).

What options do we have to resist the sale legally?
How are the shares or apportionment of ownership arrived at when there is no agreeement, and only two names on the deed?
What, if any, are the legal alternatives to partition, beyond bidding for her portion of the home?
Can this process be drawn out for a period of time?

The new school year has started for my daughters and Monster in Law has given us a 6 month warning. I am very concerned and there seems to be little advise. Any reply is appreciated. Thank you.

HuAi

Partition suits usually cost tens of thousands of dollars in lawyer fees and take several years

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">