• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Property Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lywhite

What is the name of your state? Texas

How do you go about forcing the sale of a jointly owned property in another state. My father purchased a home in NM with a lady friend and they are no longer together. He jointly owns the property, name is on the tax records, etc. He has asked her 2 times over the past 4 months to let him know if she is buying him out or if they are selling. She has avoided answering, delayed both times with health excuses. Her son told me that she will continue to delay and stall until we force her legally. My father wants to list the property for sale to get his money back. How do we go about that?

Last edited:

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state? Texas

How do you go about forcing the sale of a jointly owned property in another state. My father purchased a home in NM with a lady friend and they are no longer together. He jointly owns the property, name is on the tax records, etc. He has asked her 2 times over the past 4 months to let him know if she is buying him out or if they are selling. She has avoided answering, delayed both times with health excuses. Her son told me that she will continue to delay and stall until we force her legally. My father wants to list the property for sale to get his money back. How do we go about that?
The only way to force a sale is to file a partition suit in the county in which the property is located.

lywhite

i appreciate your reply.
i have been looking for a solution to this for 4 months. i will look into the partition suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">