• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Sale of Co-owned Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tpiovoso

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I own an investment property with another person. Can I force the sale of the property on the grounds that we cannot agree on how the property should be managed?

FlyingRon

You an sue for partition. It's not particularly speedy. Usually that results in an order that the property be sold and the proceeds split. The other option is make an offer to the other owner to sell him your interest or buy his.

tpiovoso

Thanks for your response. I have already offered to sell for 10% below appraised value. I can't even get a return call from him. How long will it take to sue for partition?

nextwife

Are you sure that NOW, and this market, is the time to pursue a partition sale? You're probably better off riding out the market for a while. Nobody who doesn't HAVE to sell now should be choosing to sell now.

10% below CURRENT appraisal, or an appraisal that is more than a year old?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">