• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to sell family property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mccoycruz

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My family has owned property in Orange County Virginia for 60 years. It was left to my 2 cousins, my brother and I. Unfortunately one of my cousins has been a drug addict and thief his intire life and from jail has retained an attorney to force the rest of us to sell the property. He has never paid a dime in taxes etc and we offered to buy him out a couple of years ago but he wants an extreme amount of money. The attorney has served my brother and my other cousin but as of yet not me. I need to know Virginia law and if he can force us to sell or what our legal rights are. None of us have extra money at this time to hire an attorney nor do we want to sell the property and have to pay his attorney profits which is the only reason this attorney is interested. They say they appraised the property but we have yet to see an appraisal and do not know the worth. Someone please help as this is the only thing any of us has left of our family. Thanks.

Last edited:

pojo2

You are at a great disadvantage if you can not afford an Atty to protect your interests here or a proper appraisal from someone representing YOUR interests.

Unfortunately the bad seed may be able to force you to sell the property or buy him out based on a proper apprasial.

Can the property be used as security by the 3 remaining owners to secure a loan to pay off the bad seed?

If you can meet certain guidelines you may be able to run your case through an Atty free if you have a legal aide office in or close to your area.

nextwife

The other family members certainly have the option of offering to buy out his interest via a cash out refinance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">