• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forclosing on a tax lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KatrinaK13

What is the name of your state? Arizona.
I have been paying taxes on a piece of property for 4 years. I understand I can start foreclosure procedings after 3 years. How would I go about doing this? Do I need a lawyer, or can I do it myself? Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

dmiller12

I've been paying taxes on my property fro 10 years but I'm not going to start foreclosure proceedings. Is there more to the story?

LindaP777

Why are you paying the property taxes?
Is there some type of mortgage or agreement that allows you to foreclose?
Seriously. Do you think if I just started paying property taxes on my neighbors house, that I could "foreclose" after 4 years?

efflandt

You have time yet, but if you let it slide 10 years from lien purchase without foreclosing, the property goes to the state.

"At any time beginning three years after the sale of a tax lien but not later than ten years after the last day of the month in which the lien was acquired pursuant to section 42-18114, if the lien is not redeemed, the purchaser or the purchaser's heirs or assigns, or the state if it is the assignee, may bring an action to foreclose the right to redeem. The action to foreclose the right to redeem shall be filed in the superior court in the county in which the real property is located. If any applicable law or court order prohibits bringing an action to foreclose the right to redeem, the limitation provided herein shall be extended twelve months following the termination of such prohibition."

For other details search for "tax lien" at http://www.azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp

KatrinaK13

Clarification: I have a certificate of purchase for a tax lien for a piece of property. ( I just realized I've actually been paying it for 5 years.) And yes, if your neighbors don't pay their taxes and you purchase the tax lien, you CAN foreclose on their property if they don't pay.... So, do I need a lawyer or is this something I can do myself? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Clarification: I have a certificate of purchase for a tax lien for a piece of property. ( I just realized I've actually been paying it for 5 years.) And yes, if your neighbors don't pay their taxes and you purchase the tax lien, you CAN forclose on their property if they don't pay.... So, do I need a lawyer or is this something I can do myself? Thanks in advance for any help.
That makes a little more sense.

Here's what you do: Go to the bureaucrat who sold you the certificate of purchase. Ask him how long the redemption period is. (That's how long the owners have to come in and pay the back taxes.) If the time is up, then you get a collector's (or whatever the bureaucrat is called in your state) deed. These are generally worthless. To get good title, you must file a quiet title lawsuit. Hire a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">