• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Creolevirgo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I have a friend that has been renting the basement of a home sine April 2008. On the 26th of August the owner informed him that the house is being foreclosed on and he has to vacate the premises no later than the September 26. There is no lease agreement and he did pay a security deposit. What recourse (if any) does my friend have in getting his security deposit back? Also he's wondering if he can also get the last month rent back.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I have a friend that has been renting the basement of a home sine April 2008. On the 26th of August the owner informed him that the house is being foreclosed on and he has to vacate the premises no later than the September 26. There is no lease agreement and he did pay a security deposit. What recourse (if any) does my friend have in getting his security deposit back? Also he's wondering if he can also get the last month rent back.
**A: by law he is entitled to his security deposit back pursuant to VA L/T law. He is not entitled to last month's rent back. If he paid for the entire month of Sept., then he is due a prorated rent credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">