• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ohmom

I have two houses in California. I may not be able to continue the payments on the house I do not occupy. If I let the house go or try to do a short sell can the mortgage company come after the house I do occupy? I don't think I can get what I owe on the house; that's why I haven't attempted to sell it.

HomeGuru

ohmom said:
I have two houses in California. I may not be able to continue the payments on the house I do not occupy. If I let the house go or try to do a short sell can the mortgage company come after the house I do occupy?
**A: of course they can. THat is why you should get a short sale approval or do a deed-in-ieu of foreclosure.

I don't think I can get what I owe on the house; that's why I haven't attempted to sell it.

**A: that is not a valid excuse.

J

J. Ducaine

alright, here's your solution: first, list the property for an amount commensurate with the payoff of the debt, commissions, and other applicable costs (get out for zero $$).

Second, rent the sucker out. BUT, have a management company do all of the work and see about renting to a section 8 tenant, since you should be able to get higher (maybe lower?) rents depending on the area. I assume rent might exceed your mortgage payment.

Third, if all else fails, wait until the Notice of Default is filed by the bank and offer the property via AITD, wrap around, takeover payment arrangement. Get your agent to list it like this and you should get something. by this, someone will take over your payments using an escrow to facilitate. Do this with a "sellers performance trust deed", instead of the dummy-method of filing a grant deed. If you file a grant deed, your bank will smack you somethin' silly!

Of these solutions, one of them will work. I know as I've been right where you are - with dozens of properties at the same time!!! Man, the stress!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">