• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

duvalgal

Just divorced. My name is on the deed to the house and on the mortgage, but loan is in my ex-husband's name only. What happens if he defaults on the loan? Can I protect myself by having my name removed from the deed. There is no equity in the property.

HomeGuru

duvalgal said:
Just divorced. My name is on the deed to the house and on the mortgage, but loan is in my ex-husband's name only. What happens if he defaults on the loan? Can I protect myself by having my name removed from the deed. There is no equity in the property.
My response: please clarify since if your name is on the mortgage it is on the loan.

D

duvalgal

I'm in Florida.
My ex-husband thought he could take my name off the house by refinancing in just his name. But, he didn't realize that my name couldn't be taken off since I an on the original deed. At the closing the loan person stated that it was unusual for a person to be on the deed and not on the loan. They let the papers be signed anyway. Now, my name is on the mortgage & deed, but not on the note. The mortgage co. will not give me information on the loan payments since, they say, my name isn't on the loan.
Quite a mess!! Do I have any recourse?

HomeGuru

Since your name is on the mortgage, you are liable.
The mortgage is the instrument that is recorded on title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">