• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forged signature on quit claim deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justcurious6

What is the name of your state? GA

I currently live in GA, but the issue I have happened in FL. Polk County Clerk of Courts has a quit claim deed on file for me. It states that I signed property over to my ex-husband. I never did such a thing. When we divorced I told him I wouldn't sign off on it until the mortgage was no longer in my name, then I would give him no problem in doing so. He knows how to contact me if he needs me, he has even used this contact phone number for his references so I know he hasn't forgotten it. I have also tried to contact him several times by mail to find out the status of the house so I could keep my finances in order. This deed shows my signature, but it is not my signature and not even close to how I signed my name at that time. It also states that I was a single woman at the time, although I had already remarried, and he knew this at that time. It also states the notary knew me persnonally. As it turns out, the house has been refinanced and my name is no longer on it because it appears that he has also remarried. My question is: isn't it illegal to have my signature forged on such documents? If so, what do I need to do about this? I'm not so much concerned that my name is no longer on the property since I am no longer financially responsible. But the fact that he did this illegally when there was no reason he couldn't get me to sign it if he had just contacted me bothers me. I apologize if I have rambled, but I wanted to give as much information as possible to get the most accurate advice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

seniorjudge

justcurious6 said:
What is the name of your state? GA

I currently live in GA, but the issue I have happened in FL. Polk County Clerk of Courts has a quit claim deed on file for me. It states that I signed property over to my ex-husband. I never did such a thing. When we divorced I told him I wouldn't sign off on it until the mortgage was no longer in my name, then I would give him no problem in doing so. He knows how to contact me if he needs me, he has even used this contact phone number for his references so I know he hasn't forgotten it. I have also tried to contact him several times by mail to find out the status of the house so I could keep my finances in order. This deed shows my signature, but it is not my signature and not even close to how I signed my name at that time. It also states that I was a single woman at the time, although I had already remarried, and he knew this at that time. It also states the notary knew me persnonally. As it turns out, the house has been refinanced and my name is no longer on it because it appears that he has also remarried. My question is: isn't it illegal to have my signature forged on such documents? If so, what do I need to do about this? I'm not so much concerned that my name is no longer on the property since I am no longer financially responsible. But the fact that he did this illegally when there was no reason he couldn't get me to sign it if he had just contacted me bothers me. I apologize if I have rambled, but I wanted to give as much information as possible to get the most accurate advice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Q: My question is: isn't it illegal to have my signature forged on such documents? If so, what do I need to do about this?

A: Yes, this is illegal and I can think of several things you could do and a couple of them are legal. First, find out who the title insurance company was for the new lender and contact them in writing stating what you told us here. Next, turn your ex-hubby into the cops in the county where the deed was signed. Third, turn in the notary to whoever commissions notaries in your state (I think it is the secretary of state). And, finally, hire a lawyer to write your husband a nasty letter and demand money for a REAL quit claim deed from you.

But, I have to ask you, since you are off the mortgage now, why don't you just forget the whole thing. Isn't that what you wanted in the first place?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">