• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foundation Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KathyG

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

In 2003 my husband and I contracted a builder to build a custom home. About two years ago (2005) we noticed small cracks in the drywall in our master bedroom, in two corners of the ceiling. At first I thought these were just "settling" cracks, and would not get worse. In the past few months (April 2008 - Sept 2008) these cracks seem to be widening.
Today I went out side to the corner of the house where these cracks are, and notice that this particular corner of the foundation has a pretty substancial crack on two sides.
I would not think that in 5 years a house would have this type of problem. I have not had an engineer examine the problem, but intend to do so shortly.
My question concerns the length of time a builder is liable for substandard construction, such as this. What are my options to have the builder pay for repairs?

Thank you,
Kathy

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

In 2003 my husband and I contracted a builder to build a custom home. About two years ago (2005) we noticed small cracks in the drywall in our master bedroom, in two corners of the ceiling. At first I thought these were just "settling" cracks, and would not get worse. In the past few months (April 2008 - Sept 2008) these cracks seem to be widening.
Today I went out side to the corner of the house where these cracks are, and notice that this particular corner of the foundation has a pretty substancial crack on two sides.
I would not think that in 5 years a house would have this type of problem. I have not had an engineer examine the problem, but intend to do so shortly.
My question concerns the length of time a builder is liable for substandard construction, such as this. What are my options to have the builder pay for repairs?

**A: hire the engineer and read your contract and warranty docs. Chances are you have legal recourse if it is a structural issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">