• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud in PA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ashess98

I was going to rent a house with this girl, Sarah. In December, Sarah met with the landlord and signed a lease meant for two people. At this time she also gave the landlord her and my deposits for the house. I signed as the second person on the same lease in January, but did not give a copy to the landlord. In April I wrote a letter stating that I was no longer interested in renting from the landlord. As of August 10 the land lord has not recieved a copy of the lease with my signature. Would it be fraud/trickery etc for Sarah to now present the lease with my signature to the landlord?

Thank you,

------------------
Ashley

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ashess98:
I was going to rent a house with this girl, Sarah. In December, Sarah met with the landlord and signed a lease meant for two people. At this time she also gave the landlord her and my deposits for the house. I signed as the second person on the same lease in January, but did not give a copy to the landlord. In April I wrote a letter stating that I was no longer interested in renting from the landlord. As of August 10 the land lord has not recieved a copy of the lease with my signature. Would it be fraud/trickery etc for Sarah to now present the lease with my signature to the landlord?

Thank you,

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What happened between Jan and April? Were you living in the property as a tenant with no written lease? Where you there from April until Aug 10th and still there now? What is the reason for asking the last question?

A

Ashess98

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
What happened between Jan and April? Were you living in the property as a tenant with no written lease? Where you there from April until Aug 10th and still there now? What is the reason for asking the last question?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
In December Sarah signed the lease for Apartment B in a house, which was for June 1, 2000- May 31, 2001. Sarah may or may not have signed two copies of the lease. She cannot remember while other witnesses say she only signed one copy. Therefore, we are unsure if the landlord has a copy of the lease with her signature. I signed the lease in January but we never gave a copy of the lease with my signature to the landlord. (We were trying to find two more roommates for Apartment A in the house.) In April I wrote a letter saying I was no longer interested in renting. I retracted my interest and asked for my deposit back. In May Sarah verbally (via answering machine) stated to the landlord that she was no longer interested in renting. In July the landlord contacted her asking her for rent. He says he has a copy of the lease with her signature, but we are not sure if he is bluffing. Meanwhile he is asking for a copy of the lease that contains BOTH of our signatures. At this point in time it is not in her interest to present the lease to him. But if she does decide to give him a copy of the lease with my signature, wouldn't this be deceptive? Could I have any obligation to the landlord?
So that is what happened b/w January and April (and then some.)
Oh, and needless to say, I have not recieved my deposit back. Though, he has admitted that, at this point in time, he does owe me the rent.
What do you think?
Thank you,

------------------
Ashley

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ashess98:
Originally posted by HomeGuru:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
In December Sarah signed the lease for Apartment B in a house, which was for June 1, 2000- May 31, 2001. Sarah may or may not have signed two copies of the lease. She cannot remember while other witnesses say she only signed one copy. Therefore, we are unsure if the landlord has a copy of the lease with her signature. I signed the lease in January but we never gave a copy of the lease with my signature to the landlord. (We were trying to find two more roommates for Apartment A in the house.) In April I wrote a letter saying I was no longer interested in renting. I retracted my interest and asked for my deposit back. In May Sarah verbally (via answering machine) stated to the landlord that she was no longer interested in renting. In July the landlord contacted her asking her for rent. He says he has a copy of the lease with her signature, but we are not sure if he is bluffing. Meanwhile he is asking for a copy of the lease that contains BOTH of our signatures. At this point in time it is not in her interest to present the lease to him. But if she does decide to give him a copy of the lease with my signature, wouldn't this be deceptive? Could I have any obligation to the landlord?
So that is what happened b/w January and April (and then some.)
Oh, and needless to say, I have not recieved my deposit back. Though, he has admitted that, at this point in time, he does owe me the rent.
What do you think?
Thank you,
I think I am pretty much totally confused.

A

Ashess98

Yeah, the details are pretty unbearable. I just want to know if I would have a business contract with the landlord if he did not recieve a copy of the lease with my signature until after I retracted my offer to rent from him. Do you know that?
Thank you,

------------------
Ashley

[This message has been edited by Ashess98 (edited August 11, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">