• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent Residency

• Thread starter NeedAdvicePleez
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NeedAdvicePleez

Hello! Pleez Help!

I live in NEW YORK STATE. My brother, who does not live with me, has been trying to establish residency at my address. I do not wish this to happen, but he has all of his mail sent to my home, he got his license using my address, he tries to have registered mail sent here. I have called the police to file a report. They say that because he has my address on all of his legal documents and bills that if he ever tried to live here that he has the right to? How can this happen? Are the police/sherriff mistaken. I want him to remove my address from all his stuff but he refuses....what can I do and what are my legal rights....and does he have any just by fraudulently having his mail sent to my dwelling?

Pleez help.

Thank you.

HomeGuru

NeedAdvicePleez said:
Hello! Pleez Help!

I live in NEW YORK STATE. My brother, who does not live with me, has been trying to establish residency at my address. I do not wish this to happen, but he has all of his mail sent to my home, he got his license using my address, he tries to have registered mail sent here. I have called the police to file a report. They say that because he has my address on all of his legal documents and bills that if he ever tried to live here that he has the right to? How can this happen? Are the police/sherriff mistaken. I want him to remove my address from all his stuff but he refuses....what can I do and what are my legal rights....and does he have any just by fraudulently having his mail sent to my dwelling?

Pleez help.

Thank you.
**A: send a certified letter to the Postmaster of your USPS instructing them not to deliver mail at your address. Now if your brother has interest in the subject property, he can instruct the postal service to deliver mail at that address. If he has another post office address, you can write forward and the address on the envelope and put it out for collecton. My question is, if his mail goes to your residence and he is not living there, how does he get his mail?

Last edited:
N

NeedAdvicePleez

Obtaining Mail

Thank you so much for your response. I have legal counsel and they have not been as helpful as you.

My parents live in the house with me. My brother sometimes will come to visit them and he picks up mail at that time. We have repeatedly asked him not to have anything sent here or use our address but he does anyway.

We actually had a sherriff come to the house the other day to file a complaint and he said that if he ever tried to stay at the house we would have to let him, and then evict him. He has no right to our house/property. This is truly absurd.

HomeGuru

If your brother is not on title to the property, change the locks and call the cops to arrest him for trespassing the next time he shows up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">