• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garage might be 3 feet on neighbors property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

koodbeworse

What is the name of your state?
ohio
I purchased a home that was built in 1945. It was a duplex and I converted it to single family. I have two garages. I tore down one and was told that it had been three feet on the nieghbor to the left of me property. Now the neighbor on the right says my other garage is three feet on her property and when i don't want her grandkids playing there she says they can because she owns that three feet. I bought my house 5 years ago. I was never told that either of my garages and driveways were on anyones property. Do I have any rights to this three feet? If I do who should I contact to get this taken care of once and for all? I want to tear down the other garage and put up a fence.:confused:

HomeGuru

koodbeworse said:
What is the name of your state?
ohio
I purchased a home that was built in 1945. It was a duplex and I converted it to single family. I have two garages. I tore down one and was told that it had been three feet on the nieghbor to the left of me property. Now the neighbor on the right says my other garage is three feet on her property and when i don't want her grandkids playing there she says they can because she owns that three feet. I bought my house 5 years ago. I was never told that either of my garages and driveways were on anyones property. Do I have any rights to this three feet? If I do who should I contact to get this taken care of once and for all? I want to tear down the other garage and put up a fence.:confused:
**A: where is your survey? How come you did not order a survey when you bought the property?

K

koodbeworse

Re: Re: Garage might be 3 feet on neighbors property

HomeGuru said:

**A: where is your survey? How come you did not order a survey when you bought the property?
Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't think I needed a survey. I had lived in the house before I purchased it. I was sinking alot of money into my side of the house yet the other side wasn't and my heating and cooling bills were high. The landlord said he wanted to sell and I purchased the home at a good price. He had owned the home for 25 years. I paid cash for the house and I've lived on this road for 23 years and never heard anything about the garages being on anyone's property. My neighbor stored a car for two years in the garage and actually gave me the car after I complained for a year. Yet she didn't have a title and as soon as I told her I sold the car because my brother worked on the motor she had her son take the car out of the garage and he sold the motor and junked the rest of the car. I don't want any fights. I have grown up with these people and don't understand why they are being like this. I'm tired of picking up her garbage and she allows the neighbor on the other side of her to put trash behing my garage. I'm tempted to tear down the garage. I have posted no trespassing signs all over the garage and I find them laying in my yard. I want to know if I own this property or not. My father tried to measure by the measurements on my deed and said my garage does appear to be on her property. Doesn't the garage have to be so far from the property line and I mow from my garage to about five feet on the other side because there is a telephone pole there and thats where I thought my property ended. The garage has been there since 1945, doesn't that count for anything? Thank you.
Sandy

HomeGuru

Nothing counts until you get a survey. Then once you get the survey and then know where your legal property boundaries are, you can discuss options with your attorney.
One option may be to file a claim for prescriptive easement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">