• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting a letter of satisfaction for old mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lorrain

I'll try to make this as brief as possible. I sold my house last Dec and the buyer's title company kept a large sum of money from the sale because there was a HUD mortgage taken out in 1970. My mother who is deceased now, was the owner at that time and she had paid it off but I have no record of the satisfaction of payment. I have already gone to several people in HUD and gave them copies of what the title company gave me but they cannot find any record of an outstanding mortgage on the property nor a satisfaction. The Title Company now says that I should take HUD to court to get a letter of satisfaction. Since HUD is not making any claim on this money how can I get my money from the Title Co?
The property is located in Brooklyn, NY.

------------------

T

Tracey

You can sue HUD to quiet title to the house & force them to prove the claim or release the lien. Since you've sold, you may have to pay for the buyers to sue HUD. Talk to a real estate attorney. Good luck.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">