• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting off of a house title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enthusiaction

I'm in Washington state.....my wife's name is the only one on the mortgage, but my name is on the title with hers.

I want to get my name off of the title due to some business situations. She pays the mortgage note, since its in her name, and I don't want the house that she's paying for to be open to lawsuits or liens in the future due to any litigation concerning me or my debts.

Is there a way to do this and protect her assests (the house) in the process? What do I need to do?What is the name of your state?

dmiller12

File a quit claim deed deeding the property from both of you to just her. You may want to check with the bank to get their blessing. They shouldn't have a problem with it since based on your post you're not an obligor on the loan.

divgradcurl

Washington is a community property state. Even if the loan and the title are both in your wife's name alone, this is likely not sufficient to change the nature of the property from community property to the separate property of your wife. If you want to protect your home from your judgments, you will need to talk with an attorney to make sure that if this can be done at all, it is done right.

If you already are invovled in litigation, or you already have a judgment against you, it's probably too late to change anything now -- but talk to an attorney. A quit claim deed in your situation will do next to nothing to protect the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">