• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting out of joint ownership of house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alisalim

What is the name of your state? ohio
I bought a house some months ago. I alone have the mortgage on the house but i decided to have both my and my girlfriends name on the title. (oops) We have been together only for one year and she paid nothing related to the purchase of the house. Now we are seperating. She agrees, for now, that she has no interest in the house. I am wondering what options i have to take her name off the title and keep it clean. Although i am very certain that she will keep her word in this matter, what option will i have if she decides to take me for a ride.

thanks for your help.

ali.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

alisalim said:
What is the name of your state? ohio
I bought a house some months ago. I alone have the mortgage on the house but i decided to have both my and my girlfriends name on the title. (oops) We have been together only for one year and she paid nothing related to the purchase of the house. Now we are seperating. She agrees, for now, that she has no interest in the house. I am wondering what options i have to take her name off the title and keep it clean. Although i am very certain that she will keep her word in this matter, what option will i have if she decides to take me for a ride.

thanks for your help.

ali.
My response:

Let me get this straight.

You own a home, and you had it in your name alone. You place a woman's name on the deed after having only known this woman for 1 year? Geez, I want to be your girlfriend !

Why would you do something like that? What possessed you to "give" her an "undivided one-half interest" in your home? Well, that's what you did - - you made a gift of your home to her!

You'd be real lucky if she doesn't see an attorney, and merely signs a Quit Claim Deed over to you for $1.00. Because, if she sees an attorney, the attorney would more than likely advise her to sue you for "Partition" which would force you to refinance the mortgage to buy her share at the current rate or, to force you to sell the house and give her her share of the proceeds.

Good luck, my friend. You're going to need it.

IAAL

Last edited:
A

alisalim

stupid or stupid me

well thanks for the advice...
In retrospect it is still foolish on my part, but i bought the house after we were together for one year and at the time of the closing here name along with mine was included in the title.
Anyway if she does agree to give back, if you will, the house, is a quit claim deed the way to go. Would a lawyer draft this or someone at a titile company??

thanks again..... All others learn from this.

ali.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: stupid or stupid me

alisalim said:
well thanks for the advice...
In retrospect it is still foolish on my part, but i bought the house after we were together for one year and at the time of the closing here name along with mine was included in the title.
Anyway if she does agree to give back, if you will, the house, is a quit claim deed the way to go. Would a lawyer draft this or someone at a titile company??

thanks again..... All others learn from this.

ali.
My response:

Go to a nearby Title Company, and pay them fill out a Quit Claim Deed for you, using your current deed for all the particulars and description.

Then, get her nice and drunk. Put the Quit Claim Deed and $1.00 in front of her, and say, "Here darling, all you have to do is sign this itsy bitsy little paper, and I'll give you this real nice picture of George Washington!"

Then, if she signs it, immediately have the Quit Claim Deed recorded. Then, when you get back home, kick her butt out of the house, and take a deep breath, and thank your lucky stars.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">