• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting rid of Boyfriend who doesn't pay rent and is not on the lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ebronn

What is the name of your state? Georgia, I have a friend who wants her boyfriend to leave, he says she has to give him 30 days. She's been telling him to leave forever, he doesn't pay any bills, nor does he pay rent. Does she have any legal obligation to give him time to leave, can she legally change the locks and move his things to the garage if she allows him access to the garage to get them?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Georgia, I have a friend who wants her boyfriend to leave, he says she has to give him 30 days. She's been telling him to leave forever, he doesn't pay any bills, nor does he pay rent. Does she have any legal obligation to give him time to leave, can she legally change the locks and move his things to the garage if she allows him access to the garage to get them?
Your friend is the LL and as such she much follow the LL/Tenant laws for Ga.

ebronn

Hows is she the landlord, they were living together, but he has never worked and her original lease expired. she is now on a month to month with her landlord because the lease was never re-signed.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Hows is she the landlord, they were living together, but he has never worked and her original lease expired. she is now on a month to month with her landlord because the lease was never re-signed.
Because when you move someone into you home, regardless is they are a guest or a roomie, YOU become the ll for legal purposes! So she has to follow the same laws as her LL would to get him out!

Google LL/Tenant laws for Ga. and you will find the procedure to get the bum out.

ebronn

ok, thanks, I think I understand, if he has is occupancy split between two places, meaning he has left the home and stayed gone for weeks at a time but then comes back and won't leave until he dissappears for another few weeks, does she still have to follow the teanant laws, he pays no bill at all.

Just Blue

ok, thanks, I think I understand, if he has is occupancy split between two places, meaning he has left the home and stayed gone for weeks at a time but then comes back and won't leave until he dissappears for another few weeks, does she still have to follow the teanant laws, he pays no bill at all.
You got me on that one...stick around for an answer...

My instinct say yes though!

there are a few factors to considder ...

he's have to prove he's a resident in the apartment, if he were to try to sue for illegal eviction ...

What does his Drivers License/ID say?
Does he now, or has he ever received any type of mail at that address?
You said he doesn't pay any of the bills, but are any of the bills in his name at that apartment?
what type, and how much personal property of his is at the apartment?

--Dave.

ebronn

he doesn't have any property there besides his clothing, and not all of it. None of the bills are in his name. but I do believe his id has that address on it

moburkes

he doesn't have any property there besides his clothing, and not all of it. None of the bills are in his name. but I do believe his id has that address on it
I'd start keeping a log of the dates that he spends the night there vs. elsewhere. However, I'd have the locks changed the moment he leaves. Have the phone # to the locksmith saved into your cell phone, and the cash to pay for the job in your purse.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maybe you need to get a current rental agreement showing you as the only tenant...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">