+ Reply to Thread
    ebronn is offline Junior Member

Question Getting rid of Boyfriend who doesn't pay rent and is not on the lease

What is the name of your state? Georgia, I have a friend who wants her boyfriend to leave, he says she has to give him 30 days. She's been telling him to leave forever, he doesn't pay any bills, nor does he pay rent. Does she have any legal obligation to give him time to leave, can she legally change the locks and move his things to the garage if she allows him access to the garage to get them?
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebronn View Post
    What is the name of your state? Georgia, I have a friend who wants her boyfriend to leave, he says she has to give him 30 days. She's been telling him to leave forever, he doesn't pay any bills, nor does he pay rent. Does she have any legal obligation to give him time to leave, can she legally change the locks and move his things to the garage if she allows him access to the garage to get them?
    Your friend is the LL and as such she much follow the LL/Tenant laws for Ga.
    Hows is she the landlord, they were living together, but he has never worked and her original lease expired. she is now on a month to month with her landlord because the lease was never re-signed.
    Last edited by ebronn; 02-27-2007 at 12:38 PM.
    Hows is she the landlord, they were living together, but he has never worked and her original lease expired. she is now on a month to month with her landlord because the lease was never re-signed.
    Because when you move someone into you home, regardless is they are a guest or a roomie, YOU become the ll for legal purposes! So she has to follow the same laws as her LL would to get him out!

Google LL/Tenant laws for Ga. and you will find the procedure to get the bum out.
    ok, thanks, I think I understand, if he has is occupancy split between two places, meaning he has left the home and stayed gone for weeks at a time but then comes back and won't leave until he dissappears for another few weeks, does she still have to follow the teanant laws, he pays no bill at all.
    ok, thanks, I think I understand, if he has is occupancy split between two places, meaning he has left the home and stayed gone for weeks at a time but then comes back and won't leave until he dissappears for another few weeks, does she still have to follow the teanant laws, he pays no bill at all.
    You got me on that one...stick around for an answer...

My instinct say yes though!
    moburkes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baystategirl View Post
    You got me on that one...stick around for an answer...

My instinct say yes though!
    Mine says to change the locks and the phone number.
    My new signature:
    Originally Posted by arazi
    I'll take you on one-to-one in a volcabulary test anywhere, anyplace, anytime.
    there are a few factors to considder ...

he's have to prove he's a resident in the apartment, if he were to try to sue for illegal eviction ...

What does his Drivers License/ID say?
    Does he now, or has he ever received any type of mail at that address?
    You said he doesn't pay any of the bills, but are any of the bills in his name at that apartment?
    what type, and how much personal property of his is at the apartment?

--Dave.
    he doesn't have any property there besides his clothing, and not all of it. None of the bills are in his name. but I do believe his id has that address on it
    moburkes is offline Senior Member
    he doesn't have any property there besides his clothing, and not all of it. None of the bills are in his name. but I do believe his id has that address on it
    I'd start keeping a log of the dates that he spends the night there vs. elsewhere. However, I'd have the locks changed the moment he leaves. Have the phone # to the locksmith saved into your cell phone, and the cash to pay for the job in your purse.
    My new signature:
    Originally Posted by arazi
    I'll take you on one-to-one in a volcabulary test anywhere, anyplace, anytime.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you need to get a current rental agreement showing you as the only tenant...
    Paddy Reagan is offline Member
    Now we know what Neil Sedaka really meant when he sang "Breaking up is hard to do."