• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift arrangement goes sour

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bnc_5

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My mother helped my sister obtain a loan and provided money for her to build a house some years ago. This contribution has always been considered a gift by both parties. After living with my sister for a couple of years and continuing to contribute to expenses, my mother eventually purchased a new home and moved out. My sister then proceeded to send money to my mother to help her pay the mortgage on the new house. This money has also been considered a gift, until recently. Now my sister is claiming an interest in the new house equal to her contribution. Does she have a claim?

HomeGuru

bnc_5 said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona

My mother helped my sister obtain a loan and provided money for her to build a house some years ago. This contribution has always been considered a gift by both parties. After living with my sister for a couple of years and continuing to contribute to expenses, my mother eventually purchased a new home and moved out. My sister then proceeded to send money to my mother to help her pay the mortgage on the new house. This money has also been considered a gift, until recently. Now my sister is claiming an interest in the new house equal to her contribution. Does she have a claim?
**A: yes, she has a claim of equity. Will she prevail? Most likely not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">