• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going about buying a home I should have inherited...but there is a catch.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rcooley13

Name of the State: Oregon

Good Morning All,

I have a pretty unique and unfortunate question. I am currently living in a home that is for sale that I grew up in. My wife and I have decided that even though the house needs alot of work we would like to purchase the house if the current buyer backs out after the home inspection is complete.

The whole reason this mess started is as follows. My mother and grandmother bought this house together back in 1983. They got it fully paid off in 2006. It was their intention to leave the house to me, my mom's only son. She was a single mother, I was adopted so there is no husband. Unfortunately back in 2009 my mom passed away unexpectidly. She was admitted into the hospital for accute resperatory distress syndrome, and was placed in a medically induced coma. Knowing she was a self employed hair dresser, and being told that when she came to, she would most likely not be able to perform that profession like she used to, I decided to establish her medical and financial benefits through social security and the state of Oregon. She was at the age of retirement anyway.

So now that she was covered under the state health program and deemed disabled, she would not have to worry about the medical expenses when she came to. Again, she was self employed with no health insurance unfortunately. Too costly for her very limited income.

Unfortunately she passed away in the hospital, and along with it came the bill of $98,000.00 that went to her new state medical benefits. Since she passed away, the stated wanted their money back. This was all in the fine print, if you pass away over the age of 50 the state of Oregon has the right to go after property and assets to get repaid.

My grandmother, her mom, was now the sole owner of the house (even though I was the surviving heir to my mom's 50% of the house) and the state came knocking for the money. My mom's only investment was her part of the house. The State had my grandma agree to a form that said she could live in the house free of the hassle from the state until the time of her passing, and then they would persue putting a lien on the home. Soon after mom mom passed away, my grandmother was diagnosed with Colon Cancer, just to make matters worse.

My uncle (my grandmas son) moved in with my grandma to keep her company as she was also still grieving the loss of her daughter and the fear of her cancer. I have a wife and three kids and moving up there with her, the house was not big for all of us.

My grandmother signed the papers letting her live there hassle free until her passing. She passed away January 2011. That is when the state placed the lien on the house. In the will everything but the house was divided up without any hasle, but the house was not worried about because of the lien. Because my grandma was the last one living in the house, and my grandma signed papers to take control of the house and those medical bills from the state, when she pased away, her son became the executor of HER estate, which included the house.

Because of the state being very persistant, he placed the house on the market for sale, with the understanding that whatever the house sold for, as long as the county court deemed it fair, the state would get that amount of the sale for the house and that would be the end of it. So if the house sold for 35K they could not ask for another 63K.

My uncle stayed in the house until June of 2012 in which that time he wanted to leave town and move back to his home town of Salt Lake City. I was asked to move into the home free of rent in order to keep the home occupied and insured.

There has been no movement on the home until recently, where a buyer is in the stages of having inspections done. The house is being sold as is, so if the inspection comes back with lots of issues (Plumbing, leaking roof, old electrical) the buyer can back out.

If this happens my wife and I have decided that we would like to keep the house in our family. I can't exactly go and get a home loan for another year, as we filed for bankruptcy back in 2012 and we need to wait until summer 2014 to qualify for a FHA loan.

Is there anything I can do being the sole heir of the original owner of half the house, to work with the state on reasonable payments or a special circumstance home loan of some sorts? I have no bills other than utilities, I own my car, I am getting ready to possibly rent a home for 800+ dollars a month. I'd rather put that rent money towards a mortgage payment.

Am I up a creek without a paddle? Or is there something I can do? Any resources I can reach out to for help?

I hate to see this house that my mom and grandma worked so hard to pay off, as their one thing they accomplished and worked damn hard for, be thrown away to some strangers.

Thank you all for your time,

Ryan

ecmst12

If the house has the kind of issues that make the buyers walk away from it, I suggest you don't want a problem like that in your life either. Especially if you can't even afford to buy it, that means you definitely can't afford to buy it AND repair it.

rcooley13

If the house has the kind of issues that make the buyers walk away from it, I suggest you don't want a problem like that in your life either. Especially if you can't even afford to buy it, that means you definitely can't afford to buy it AND repair it.
I can afford the house and repairs. But I can't get a home loan for another year because of the bankruptcy on my record. My credit score is back up into the 600+ range, but it's the technicalities of the timeframe. As I stated before, I have no bills with the exception of utilities. As of right now all my money goes into savings.

So I Can afford the home and I can afford the repairs. Right now, the offer aproved on the house is 39K

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">