• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Golf and Country club abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

young lee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
We are senior citizens having a place in Golf &Country Club in Boynton Beach, Palm Beach County FL. We have been a member for the last ten years paying dues on time with sporadic use of the Club. Last three month, we delayed our yearly dues because the Club failed to answer our inquiry about their mishandling of our membership resignation request based on financial hardship. When we bought the house the membership was not mandatory but now it is. Without responding to our question or request for meetings, the Club hired high powered collection lawyer with demand and threat of law suits every time he wrote us with reference to FDCPA. We gave in and paid all fees, interests, late charge of $100 a month and the collection lawyers legal fee. We feel our rights were grossly violated and looking for redress. We are trying to resign but the Club gives enormous financial and emotional pressure with their clever use of the By-laws and we want to know how to deal.

FlyingRon

What sort of redress do you think you are entitled to? You were obligated to pay, you didn't, they had to go get a collection agency to get their money. If your CCRs or whatever mandate the country club fees, you have to pay them. Your redress would be to band together with any like-minded neighbors and work through the process of changing the rules. You don't just get to unilaterally pull out because they didn't "answer your questions."

NC Aggie

Well I WOULD agree with FlyingRon, but I will hold off until I get more clarification on the membership being mandatory. Is this designated specifically as a "membership" or is this included as part of your HOA fees? Also, how are the fees addressed in your CCRs? Was this mandatory requirement added later to the CCRs and if so, voted on by whom? For my understanding, it's very difficult or rare to admend CCRs that would impose new fees on residents. It's one thing to raise fee, but to add an entirely different fee.

young lee

What sort of redress do you think you are entitled to? You were obligated to pay, you didn't, they had to go get a collection agency to get their money. If your CCRs or whatever mandate the country club fees, you have to pay them. Your redress would be to band together with any like-minded neighbors and work through the process of changing the rules. You don't just get to unilaterally pull out because they didn't "answer your questions."
Thank you belatedly. I am new to this forum but your comment is excellent and helps me to see the reality more clearly. Mandatory and non mandatory are almost even split and I have to learn how to band with other neighbors.

young lee

Well I WOULD agree with FlyingRon, but I will hold off until I get more clarification on the membership being mandatory. Is this designated specifically as a "membership" or is this included as part of your HOA fees? Also, how are the fees addressed in your CCRs? Was this mandatory requirement added later to the CCRs and if so, voted on by whom? For my understanding, it's very difficult or rare to admend CCRs that would impose new fees on residents. It's one thing to raise fee, but to add an entirely different fee.
Thank you belatedly. Your comment is very relevant. When we bought the place the club membership was not mandatory. A few years later it was amended with resident's vote in slim margin. The management with backing of BOD became a dictator doing things as they wish befitting the expression "The tail wags the dog." The club membership is separate from HOA agreement. There is a move to reverse the mandatory requirement because it adversely affect resale of homes and quality of the management.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">