• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandfather Clause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frazierdh1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
How does one go about finding out about a grandfather clause on a property within city limits?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
How does one go about finding out about a grandfather clause on a property within city limits?
Grandfather clause for what? That could make a difference as to what agency you would contact.

FlyingRon

Yes, that's a real non-descript question. If we're talking about a use that is no longer conforming to zoning that is changed, you'd have to know when the rezoning occured and when the current use was initiated. Note that sometimes grandfathered use only apply to the things as they stood, so making any changes or even selling the property to another may invalidate the grandfathered activity.

Frazierdh1

So where would I go to start looking it up, the deal is, looking at buying a house that use to be out of city limits but is now just inside them with houses around it now, use to have horses on it, still has barn, stalls, hitching post, water troughs and all, has 1.77 acres and I'm trying to find out if we can have our horses on the property without having to go through 9 miles of legal bs, the current owners and a neighbor told use it was grandfathered in and we could but I don't want to comment to buying it and move in and then get told we can't have them in city limits.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Yep, it would behoove you to check with the city or a real estate lawyer who could look at the ordinance. The grandfathering, if it exists, may not apply to you. The fact that it used to have horses on it doesn't mean you can reintroduce them without problems now.

Frazierdh1

Lawyer is my next stop, tried the city but they just sent me in circles, each department telling me its another department until I finally reach back to the person I started with and they finally said well we can't help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">