• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grant deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leslieanne

My husband and I moved in with his mother after her husband died and began to pay half the bills more than 20 years ago. She stated at that time that it was her intention to make her only son, my huband her executor and sole benificiary. About 3 1/2 years ago she was having some health problems and decided to sign a grant deed giving the home to us. We paid it off and took a home equity line out for improvements. We also pay her a stipend of $300 a month and she has no worries. She lives with us. We both take her where she needs to go, shopping, doctor, hair appointments or just out and about. During the last several months, I have started my own business out of the house and maybe she doesn't get the attention she has in the past.She has for some reason become unhappy with me (her daughter in law). She says she wants her house back. My question is can she do that, after we have invested so much in the house. We asked her repeatedly at the time of transfer if she was sure that she wanted to do it, and she was insistant at that time. Please help it is extremely stressful.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

leslieanne said:
My husband and I moved in with his mother after her husband died and began to pay half the bills more than 20 years ago. She stated at that time that it was her intention to make her only son, my huband her executor and sole benificiary. About 3 1/2 years ago she was having some health problems and decided to sign a grant deed giving the home to us. We paid it off and took a home equity line out for improvements. We also pay her a stipend of $300 a month and she has no worries. She lives with us. We both take her where she needs to go, shopping, doctor, hair appointments or just out and about. During the last several months, I have started my own business out of the house and maybe she doesn't get the attention she has in the past.She has for some reason become unhappy with me (her daughter in law). She says she wants her house back. My question is can she do that, after we have invested so much in the house. We asked her repeatedly at the time of transfer if she was sure that she wanted to do it, and she was insistant at that time. Please help it is extremely stressful.
My response:

I already answered this question, leslieanne. Can you tell me why you felt it was necessary to re-post it? You got the same answer from me, as was just answered by Homeguru. Was there a problem?

IAAL

L

leslieanne

Sorry the double posting, but I wasn't sure that I had placed my question in the right place. I am new to this board and don't want to offend. Your response was some relief thank you, but as far as throwing her out, I couldn't do that because after all it was at some point her place. I'm not sure I will always feel that way though. Again thank you for responding so quickly.

HomeGuru

Jeez, I thought the writer had 2 husbands. Then I would have adviced to post on the family law forum.

IAAL, check out the recent slander of title post by marco on this board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">