• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Has anyone ever sued a HOA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carytls

We voted out our board of directors becuase the building was becoming rundown in only a year. After this was accomplished the new board found unpaid bills totaling over $20K. Now the dues have been raised from $240 to $350 for a one bedroom condo with no pool, tennis court, etc.
I dont know if I could prove theft but I definitly could prove depreciation and a hindrance in selling.

HomeGuru

You have a right to sue the HOA but I deem it more advantageous for you and the other owners to sue the incompetent Board members, on behalf of yourself and the HOA.

C

carytls

Guru,Your a hard working man.
This is a converted apt. complex for the elderly and some of the previous renters purchased their unit in the conversion and a couple even made it on the board.
I would prefer not to file suit against the entire board due to this fact and that the pres was the main culprit.
Would it be easier to collect from an individule or the ins for the HOA if i were to win?
Thanks for the reply.

HomeGuru

Then just sue the Pres.
Note: you will not get any money if you prevail as the money would belong to the HOA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">