• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He Modified Quit Claim, Is it legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CBMO2002

What is the name of your state? missouri
i sent my former boyfriend and co-owner of the house that I reside in a quit claim in april. he finally sent it back one week ago. the request was for me to pay him $10.00 to quit claim the house to me. he signed the quit claim and hand wrote one thousand dollars in the space above where the$10.00 was. is this legal? i have made the entire payments for the last 19 months without his help and to the tune of over $26,000.00 and i really don't want to pay him any more than $10.00. he still owes me for other payments that were court ordered that he has not fulfilled yet. what can i do? i don't want to file the quit claim if it will mean i have to pay the thousand.

HomeGuru

CBMO2002 said:
What is the name of your state? missouri
i sent my former boyfriend and co-owner of the house that I reside in a quit claim in april. he finally sent it back one week ago. the request was for me to pay him $10.00 to quit claim the house to me. he signed the quit claim and hand wrote one thousand dollars in the space above where the$10.00 was. is this legal? i have made the entire payments for the last 19 months without his help and to the tune of over $26,000.00 and i really don't want to pay him any more than $10.00. he still owes me for other payments that were court ordered that he has not fulfilled yet. what can i do? i don't want to file the quit claim if it will mean i have to pay the thousand.
**A: yes, it is legal as long as both he and the notary public initialed the handwritten statement.
Do not record this deed.
You need to talk to your attorney.

C

CBMO2002

modified qiuit claim

he was the only one who has signed it. there are no initials by the hand wrote amount. i have not taken it to a notary yet.

HomeGuru

Re: modified qiuit claim

CBMO2002 said:
he was the only one who has signed it. there are no initials by the hand wrote amount. i have not taken it to a notary yet.
**A: then what you have is a worthless piece of paper.
If the deed was drafted by an attorney or is an otherwise legal and recordable instrument, the Grantor must execute the deed in front of a notary public. The notary must witness the signing and make an attestment.

C

CBMO2002

my attorney said nothing to the effect that it needed to be signed by both of us in front of a notary. i have a court ordered no contact order against him. he had sent it back to her office and she forwarded the signed quit claim on to me with no explanation. i probably should look for another attorney.

HomeGuru

CBMO2002 said:
my attorney said nothing to the effect that it needed to be signed by both of us in front of a notary.

**A: if both of you need to sign the deed, your signatures need to be notarized. You are not required to both be present together and sign at the same time.

i have a court ordered no contact order against him. he had sent it back to her office and she forwarded the signed quit claim on to me with no explanation. i probably should look for another attorney.
**A: then call her and ask for an explanation and also ask her all the questions you may have concerning this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">