• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!! I'm Drowning!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

countrylvngirl

I live in an unincorporated area in Will County, Illinois. We purchased this house about 5 years ago. The problem started about 6 months after purchase. The problem is that EVERY time it rains we get flooded. This problem was not disclosed to us at the time of purchase and since we bought at the biggining of summer, we did not know this existed until fall of the same year. The problem was acerbated when the lot across from us was purchased 1 year after ours and a house was built destroying the drain tiles that was throughout the area.
Only the front of my property floods. It is an area aprox. 100' x 100' . It stands with water and because we have such a high water table it never drains. Standing water now comes up to my home. My downstairs furnace is an updraft and the water now fills my cold air return and has since destroyed it. There was at one time a drainage ditch on both sides of the street. Our side has filled in due to years of neglect by the township. The other side is still functional. The road was recently repaved with no attempt made at resolving the drainage problem. I have repeatedly called the Director of Streets and Corp of Engineers. The have come out, looked, said yes there is a drainage problem but dont know what to do. They did say that if the drainage ditch was reopened that it would solve the problem. I was told that I would personally have to fund this project. I am not the only one who floods and it was exacerbated by the repaving of the road. The solution that the township came up with was to place a shallow unfinished ditch from the area that floods perpendicular to the problem and runs 650' to the creek and it does not remedy the situation.
My question is, am I personally responsible for funding the opening of the drainage ditch or is it the townships? Who is responsible for the damages I have received due to this problem? If I correct this problem by "sandbagging" the area so no water comes in and it destroys the road will I be responsible for the road? I have tried all avenues and keep hitting dead ends. This problem is getting out of control and my house is ready to float away! There is an easement beside the road for this ditch. Any and all replies will be welcomed. Or someone point me in the right direction. Even tho it is Goverment, can I sue for my damages?

HomeGuru

countrylvngirl said:
I live in an unincorporated area in Will County, Illinois. We purchased this house about 5 years ago. The problem started about 6 months after purchase. The problem is that EVERY time it rains we get flooded. This problem was not disclosed to us at the time of purchase and since we bought at the biggining of summer, we did not know this existed until fall of the same year. The problem was acerbated when the lot across from us was purchased 1 year after ours and a house was built destroying the drain tiles that was throughout the area.
Only the front of my property floods. It is an area aprox. 100' x 100' . It stands with water and because we have such a high water table it never drains. Standing water now comes up to my home. My downstairs furnace is an updraft and the water now fills my cold air return and has since destroyed it. There was at one time a drainage ditch on both sides of the street. Our side has filled in due to years of neglect by the township. The other side is still functional. The road was recently repaved with no attempt made at resolving the drainage problem. I have repeatedly called the Director of Streets and Corp of Engineers. The have come out, looked, said yes there is a drainage problem but dont know what to do. They did say that if the drainage ditch was reopened that it would solve the problem. I was told that I would personally have to fund this project. I am not the only one who floods and it was exacerbated by the repaving of the road. The solution that the township came up with was to place a shallow unfinished ditch from the area that floods perpendicular to the problem and runs 650' to the creek and it does not remedy the situation.
My question is, am I personally responsible for funding the opening of the drainage ditch or is it the townships? Who is responsible for the damages I have received due to this problem? If I correct this problem by "sandbagging" the area so no water comes in and it destroys the road will I be responsible for the road? I have tried all avenues and keep hitting dead ends. This problem is getting out of control and my house is ready to float away! There is an easement beside the road for this ditch. Any and all replies will be welcomed. Or someone point me in the right direction. Even tho it is Goverment, can I sue for my damages?
**A: you need to hire an attorney due to the complex issues of your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">