• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help to protect interrests while gone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wheat311

I live in Maryland and two years ago purchased a house with my ex-fiancee. Both our names are on the mortgage and the deed. After three months the ex-fiancee moved out and hasn't contributed to mortgage payments since. I have contacted her often about settling the issue either throught assumption or sale. She completely ignores my pleas on the matter. Shortly I will be leaving for enlistment with the military and my mother will move in the house to help with the mortgage payments. How can I protect my mother from eviction if my ex-fiancee trys to throw her out and move in herself.

HomeGuru

Wheat311 said:
I live in Maryland and two years ago purchased a house with my ex-fiancee. Both our names are on the mortgage and the deed. After three months the ex-fiancee moved out and hasn't contributed to mortgage payments since. I have contacted her often about settling the issue either throught assumption or sale. She completely ignores my pleas on the matter. Shortly I will be leaving for enlistment with the military and my mother will move in the house to help with the mortgage payments. How can I protect my mother from eviction if my ex-fiancee trys to throw her out and move in herself.
**A: you are in a precarious situation. Hire a property management company to give Mom a long term lease. By doing this, you would sign a contract with the management company and they in turn would sign a contact with Mom. Then she can't get kicked out. Although ex can also cause trouble and move in since she is also an owner.
What you really need is to file a partition action to buy her out. You may need to give someone power of attorney since you will be out of town. Consult an attorney right away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">