• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High power bills - should the landlord reimburse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

ncbecks

I've been renting an apartment for the past 6 years. I've always had a roommate but am living alone since January 2000. I've also cancelled my lease effective August 8th. My last 3 power bills have been unreasonable higher than those of the previous years. I hardly used my a/c and have always lived very engery conserving. After the last two power bills (which were $50-75 higher than last years) I was even more careful with power usage. I just now received the latest power bill which was over twice as much ($305) as the one for the same period last year. After calling the power company they adviced me to check the breakers to figure out what is causing the high power usage. Turns out that my waterheater has gone bad and is responsible for the much higher power bills. Do I have any legal rights to ask my landlord to reimburse me for at least the difference between last years and this years power bills?

N

ncbecks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ncbecks:
I've been renting an apartment for the past 6 years. I've always had a roommate but am living alone since January 2000. I've also cancelled my lease effective August 8th. My last 3 power bills have been unreasonable higher than those of the previous years. I hardly used my a/c and have always lived very engery conserving. After the last two power bills (which were $50-75 higher than last years) I was even more careful with power usage. I just now received the latest power bill which was over twice as much ($305) as the one for the same period last year. After calling the power company they adviced me to check the breakers to figure out what is causing the high power usage. Turns out that my waterheater has gone bad and is responsible for the much higher power bills. Do I have any legal rights to ask my landlord to reimburse me for at least the difference between last years and this years power bills? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To clarify:
I have run a breaker test after talking to the power company. The meter is not running with all breakers turned off. However, with just the water heater on, the meter runs faster than the one next door with the a/c on.
I live in a townhome and in 6 years I've never had a power bill that high. There are no dripping faucets and I hardly use my porch lights.
My water has always been hot and I there wasn't any noticeable difference in the temperature.

M

mee

Couple of other questions......did they read the meter wrong?

1000 kw at 15 cents = $150 maybe next month your bill will be less then ZERO.

Did they estimate the last month or two bills then finally read the meter?

If not, replacing the heating elements would work, or at have the LL buy a timer at a local hardware store and have the water heater off at night ....

The LL should repair the water heater, not reimbuse you for the electricity...

Explain all this in a letter to the LL If he doesnt fix the water heater in a week then tell him you will deduct the excess electricty off the rent....

==========================
UOTE]Originally posted by ncbecks:
To clarify:
I have run a breaker test after talking to the power company. The meter is not running with all breakers turned off. However, with just the water heater on, the meter runs faster than the one next door with the a/c on.
I live in a townhome and in 6 years I've never had a power bill that high. There are no dripping faucets and I hardly use my porch lights.
My water has always been hot and I there wasn't any noticeable difference in the temperature.
[/QUOTE]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">