• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

His name is on Mortgage (Note) and NOT on the Deed...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EmmJAY

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am legally separated and had bought out my ex-husband's share of the equity in the house we owned jointly and a new deed was recorded in my name only.

I refinanced the house with my boyfriend. Now his name is on the mortgage with me but there was no change to the deed, it remains in my name only.

My question is.... does he have any legal ownership in the house without his name being on the deed? If we split up does he have a right to claim any portion of the house?

Thank you.

HomeGuru

EmmJAY said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am legally separated and had bought out my ex-husband's share of the equity in the house we owned jointly and a new deed was recorded in my name only.

I refinanced the house with my boyfriend. Now his name is on the mortgage with me but there was no change to the deed, it remains in my name only.

My question is.... does he have any legal ownership in the house without his name being on the deed?

**A: no.

If we split up does he have a right to claim any portion of the house?

Thank you.

**A: yes, he would have claim of equity based on using his credit to qualify for the mortgage, his liability for the mortgage, and if he pays for any expenses in connection with the property ie. mortgage payments, real property taxes, insurance, repair and maint. etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">