• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Harassment and Fines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Donut44

Hello, I live in a small neighborhood in the outskirts of Houston, TX.

We have an HOA comprised of fellow residents and we have a management company that does the violations and things.

I am being constantly harassed by the HOA with letters of violations, many times phantom violations that never occurred. When I ask the HOA about the violations, they typically just say that I need to come to one of their meetings and that they won't discuss via email or any other forum outside of an actual meeting.

Typically, the harassment is just letters, which is really no big deal. However, now recently, they are beginning to send out additional $50 fines, with the threat of continual fines if the violation is not corrected.

While not fined yet for the trash cans, they require the cans be removed from the side of the road within a timely manner. Again, I have never been fined for this. However, recently, 3 out of 4 weeks, someone is taking our trash cans and moving them into our drive way, blocking our drive way so that we can not drive in, as a "message" to take our trash cans back into the garage. Again, we do this already and these trash cans have been moved to block our driveway sometimes within 1 hour after the trash guy emptied them. In addition, no other residents have had this done to them. I told the President of the HOA about it, who informed me that he had no clue who was doing it, but not ironically, while he still says he does not know, the moving of the cans has ceased and not occurred the last 5 weeks. I even "set it up" to occur the following week, with cameras present, leaving my cans out for almost an additional 24 hours, but to no avail. Perhaps coincidence that once the HOA was informed, it ceased.

But the issues obviously are larger than this. The HOA and I have had a misunderstanding about who controls the back of my lot and the weeds that grow up there. Last year December, I got a letter to trim back along this fence (the fence is not mine, it's my neighbors and I don't actually have a fence). Anyway, I got with the board and it was determined it is indeed my yard. So, from that point forward, I have my lawn crew mow and trim all the way back to the fence. In April of this year then I suddenly get a letter from the HOA stating they are sending a 2nd letter for me to trim along the back fence, threatening to fine me if it is not taken care of. I sent an email to the President of the board about it, asking for advice on what action to take about a threatening letter asking me to do something that is already done. I'm looking out my window at a fence that has no grass and certainly no weeds. I was informed to continue what I was doing and everything was fine.

Then come August I am fined $50 for trimming along the back fence! The violation was "observed" only 5 days after my lawn crew had trimmed the entire area. I immediately emailed the Board and the management group and asked for some sort of proof. The best they could concoct, was a grainy photo, taken from the lot next door, from the front of the houses, aiming at an angle across my lot. All the lots in our neighborhood are full acre lots, so there is a good distance from the street where they took the photo next door, to the back of my fence. In addition to showing really nothing, the only visable "weeds" are from the wooded lot next to mine, NOT my lot. I informed the Board again and sent my own pictures of my well groomed back of the lot. Again, they refuse to reverse the fine, but inform me I can come in and protest at a meeting. I am unfortunately, out of town for nearly every Tuesday night meeting they hold.

I can go on and one about additional harassment, but I will refrain as I have written too much already I am sure. But one more, they are always telling us to cut down dead trees. For one, they have told me and threatened me to cut down trees that aren't dead and come spring time, that tree is alive and thriving. But one other tree was indeed dead and I cut it down. They then send a letter stating that the stump must be removed. This stump was cut off near the ground, so I just proceeded to cover the stump and lay grass right over the top of it, like I have for every other stump in my yard. However, they then send a letter later stating now, that I have to grind the stump and get rid of any "unsightly" grass mounds, changing their language this time. Finally a fine comes in the mail for the same violation. Of course, I have no clue which mound they are talking about and heaven knows I don't want to bring it up. I have one that has been there for 4 years, with no comment.

The real issue I have is that they continue with harassing letters, many time for phantom issues. Most times, the letters are sent to me, but the same so called violation is occurring elsewhere in the neighborhood, but nothing is done about that. In addition, if they can fine me for something that is not true or not there, ignore my statements and proof that the violation doesn't exist in my yard, what is to stop them from continuing with the fines and increasing the fines. If they have the power to fine and continue to fine and not have any proof, what is stop them from leading a personal vendetta against someone until they drive them out of the neighborhood? Do I have any actions I can take?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry - but I expected to see some examples of actual harassment.

If you don't like the actions of the board, run for a seat on the board and effect change from within.

Best of luck!

LdiJ

Do you happen to have a neighbor that you don't get along with? Or a neighbor who is ultra picky and who knows someone on the HOA board? This really doesn't sound like the HOA is the problem, it sounds more like someone is making false accusations TO the HOA about you.

Donut44

Oh, I thought being fined and sent letters for things that aren't mine might constitute harassment. Letters being sent for things that are not happening I thought might constitute harassment. Having ample evidence and proof on my part to back up what I am saying, I thought might at the very least help to prove that it is not just a he said/she said thing.

Donut44

Do you happen to have a neighbor that you don't get along with? Or a neighbor who is ultra picky and who knows someone on the HOA board? This really doesn't sound like the HOA is the problem, it sounds more like someone is making false accusations TO the HOA about you.
This can certainly be the case, and I am going to meet with one of my neighbors who is a "friend" and that WAS on the board, but is not currently. I don't know how much information he will give out, but I know he has stuck up for me in the past and is not a fan of the current board either. I also do know for a fact, that fellow neighbors "turning in" other neighbors is a primary source of violations, and obviously it was a fellow neighbor (or Board member) moving my trash cans and blocking my driveway. Either way, if the HOA is going to listen to them and not even heed my proof and evidence, what recourse do I have?

LdiJ

This can certainly be the case, and I am going to meet with one of my neighbors who is a "friend" and that WAS on the board, but is not currently. I don't know how much information he will give out, but I know he has stuck up for me in the past and is not a fan of the current board either. I also do know for a fact, that fellow neighbors "turning in" other neighbors is a primary source of violations, and obviously it was a fellow neighbor (or Board member) moving my trash cans and blocking my driveway. Either way, if the HOA is going to listen to them and not even heed my proof and evidence, what recourse do I have?
Well, you could refuse to pay the fines and force them to take you to court about it...you would then get to present your evidence and they might get knocked down a peg or two by the judge.

Proserpina

This is admittedly tongue-in-cheek, for the sake of a bit of levity.

But there's a reason Bentley Little wrote a shlock horror story about the evils of HOAs.. :)

Donut44

Well, you could refuse to pay the fines and force them to take you to court about it...you would then get to present your evidence and they might get knocked down a peg or two by the judge.
Very true and I guess like many homeowners, I fear the HOA and their unlimited power to decide for the entire neighborhood what can and can't be done. I can of course pay the fines and have no problem with an additional $100, but I am just worried it doesn't stop there. They could, in essence, fine me again for weeds along the back fence, whether there are any or not. I can remove the stumps, but again, who is to say whether that takes care of the issue or not, being that it is totally up to them. I guess court is the only ramification going forward, I just prefer another avenue.

I also can take the advice of running for the Board myself, but in addition to the unlikely event I am elected, I am still just one voice.

LdiJ

This is admittedly tongue-in-cheek, for the sake of a bit of levity.

But there's a reason Bentley Little wrote a shlock horror story about the evils of HOAs.. :)
Personally...I think that they are spawned by the devil..;)

They are a necessary evil I suppose when it comes to condos with common elements, but you won't ever catch me buying a home in a neighborhood that has one.

Donut44

Personally...I think that they are spawned by the devil..;)

They are a necessary evil I suppose when it comes to condos with common elements, but you won't ever catch me buying a home in a neighborhood that has one.
Well, I can not necessarily disagree and I have contemplated selling and moving farther out to an unrestricted area without one, but I supposed everything comes with its own advantages and disadvantages. I just feel behind the 8 ball here in that if both some neighbors and the Board are "against" me, they hold all the cards. I mean, I live in a gated community that only has about 120 houses and my word, it's not like my yard is unkept or I have a washer and dryer sitting on my porch or something. I respect taking care of the home and lot and in respecting my neighbors but when the Gestapo has your number, what are you to do.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Hello, I live in a small neighborhood in the outskirts of Houston, TX.

We have an HOA comprised of fellow residents and we have a management company that does the violations and things.

I am being constantly harassed by the HOA with letters of violations, many times phantom violations that never occurred. When I ask the HOA about the violations, they typically just say that I need to come to one of their meetings and that they won't discuss via email or any other forum outside of an actual meeting.

Typically, the harassment is just letters, which is really no big deal. However, now recently, they are beginning to send out additional $50 fines, with the threat of continual fines if the violation is not corrected.

While not fined yet for the trash cans, they require the cans be removed from the side of the road within a timely manner. Again, I have never been fined for this. However, recently, 3 out of 4 weeks, someone is taking our trash cans and moving them into our drive way, blocking our drive way so that we can not drive in, as a "message" to take our trash cans back into the garage. Again, we do this already and these trash cans have been moved to block our driveway sometimes within 1 hour after the trash guy emptied them. In addition, no other residents have had this done to them. I told the President of the HOA about it, who informed me that he had no clue who was doing it, but not ironically, while he still says he does not know, the moving of the cans has ceased and not occurred the last 5 weeks. I even "set it up" to occur the following week, with cameras present, leaving my cans out for almost an additional 24 hours, but to no avail. Perhaps coincidence that once the HOA was informed, it ceased.

But the issues obviously are larger than this. The HOA and I have had a misunderstanding about who controls the back of my lot and the weeds that grow up there. Last year December, I got a letter to trim back along this fence (the fence is not mine, it's my neighbors and I don't actually have a fence). Anyway, I got with the board and it was determined it is indeed my yard. So, from that point forward, I have my lawn crew mow and trim all the way back to the fence. In April of this year then I suddenly get a letter from the HOA stating they are sending a 2nd letter for me to trim along the back fence, threatening to fine me if it is not taken care of. I sent an email to the President of the board about it, asking for advice on what action to take about a threatening letter asking me to do something that is already done. I'm looking out my window at a fence that has no grass and certainly no weeds. I was informed to continue what I was doing and everything was fine.

Then come August I am fined $50 for trimming along the back fence! The violation was "observed" only 5 days after my lawn crew had trimmed the entire area. I immediately emailed the Board and the management group and asked for some sort of proof. The best they could concoct, was a grainy photo, taken from the lot next door, from the front of the houses, aiming at an angle across my lot. All the lots in our neighborhood are full acre lots, so there is a good distance from the street where they took the photo next door, to the back of my fence. In addition to showing really nothing, the only visable "weeds" are from the wooded lot next to mine, NOT my lot. I informed the Board again and sent my own pictures of my well groomed back of the lot. Again, they refuse to reverse the fine, but inform me I can come in and protest at a meeting. I am unfortunately, out of town for nearly every Tuesday night meeting they hold.

I can go on and one about additional harassment, but I will refrain as I have written too much already I am sure. But one more, they are always telling us to cut down dead trees. For one, they have told me and threatened me to cut down trees that aren't dead and come spring time, that tree is alive and thriving. But one other tree was indeed dead and I cut it down. They then send a letter stating that the stump must be removed. This stump was cut off near the ground, so I just proceeded to cover the stump and lay grass right over the top of it, like I have for every other stump in my yard. However, they then send a letter later stating now, that I have to grind the stump and get rid of any "unsightly" grass mounds, changing their language this time. Finally a fine comes in the mail for the same violation. Of course, I have no clue which mound they are talking about and heaven knows I don't want to bring it up. I have one that has been there for 4 years, with no comment.

The real issue I have is that they continue with harassing letters, many time for phantom issues. Most times, the letters are sent to me, but the same so called violation is occurring elsewhere in the neighborhood, but nothing is done about that. In addition, if they can fine me for something that is not true or not there, ignore my statements and proof that the violation doesn't exist in my yard, what is to stop them from continuing with the fines and increasing the fines. If they have the power to fine and continue to fine and not have any proof, what is stop them from leading a personal vendetta against someone until they drive them out of the neighborhood? Do I have any actions I can take?
So go to a meeting and see what they say. Good gravy. :cool:

Donut44

I can go to a meeting and I can try to get them to schedule a hearing, since the meetings they hold are when I am out of town (thought I had said this). But how is meeting with the same people that are levying the fines and disregarding my evidence going to change things? Seems I might be past this point.

Proserpina

I can go to a meeting and I can try to get them to schedule a hearing, since the meetings they hold are when I am out of town (thought I had said this). But how is meeting with the same people that are levying the fines and disregarding my evidence going to change things? Seems I might be past this point.
Because they likely have some sort of clause written in, saying that a meeting is an essential part of their complaint process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">