• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA and Parking on the Street

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leester

What is the name of your state? Virginia

We moved into a new community being built 4 years ago. We noticed one of the rules stated that there was no overnight parking allowed on the street in front of our house. The property manager at the time told us "they won't be able to enforce that once the street is turned over to the county", so we signed the HOA rules.

Since then they have never enforced the rule and approximately half the folks park on the street. It is now four years later and some folks have been complaining, so the HOA is asking folks if they want the rules to be enforced. Since it is in the rules it will require a two thirds vote to overturn (which I doubt we will get) so I am faced with a HOA who will begin enforcing a no parking rule with towing.

About a year ago my particular street was turned over to the government and is now maintained by the Virginia Department of Transportation. Since it is now a public street can the HOA enforce the no parking rule and still have my car towed? Is the fact that I signed the HOA rules overule the fact that it is a public street with no restictions on parking?

Does the HOA have the authority to enforce this rule now that it is a public street?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">