• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA and Property Management

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California

Sorry if this is long, but here's my situation:

1 1/2 years ago I purchased a 3-family building in a gated community of 33 tri-plexes. At that time, there was a person on-site who was acting as property manager. He has subsequently sold all of his units and no longer manages the property. Only 2 of the units are owner occupied, the rest are rentals.

We currently have no on-site property managers, and the inmates are running the asylum! There are children that blatantly disobey the rules and when asked to leave the pool area (where they have scooters and bikes inside the pool) they say things like "There's no manager on site to make me, so I can do what I want." Then the kids will threaten whoever is enforcing the rules with bodily or property injury. Of course, the parents aren't around to witness any of this. In addition, my family and I enjoy sitting outside in the evenings and a few of the kids will threaten my mother and call her very foul names for absolutely no reason. They'll also threaten my family and myself because they know they can get away with it.

We have a "property management firm" that manages the complex. I have contacted them on numerous occasions regarding problems only to be told "you need to call the police". Many of these problems have been civil matters involving violations of our CC&R's or rules which the police wouldn't get involved in. They told me that if I have a problem with one of the tenants I should write a letter to the property management firm who will forward it to the landlord.

I am wondering what the rights and responsibilities are of a property management firm? They seem to not care about anything. Also, what power does the Homeowners Association have?

Can someone help us out before things get any worse?

Thanks for your response.

HomeGuru

wendys8861 said:
What is the name of your state? California

Sorry if this is long, but here's my situation:

1 1/2 years ago I purchased a 3-family building in a gated community of 33 tri-plexes. At that time, there was a person on-site who was acting as property manager. He has subsequently sold all of his units and no longer manages the property. Only 2 of the units are owner occupied, the rest are rentals.

We currently have no on-site property managers, and the inmates are running the asylum! There are children that blatantly disobey the rules and when asked to leave the pool area (where they have scooters and bikes inside the pool) they say things like "There's no manager on site to make me, so I can do what I want." Then the kids will threaten whoever is enforcing the rules with bodily or property injury. Of course, the parents aren't around to witness any of this. In addition, my family and I enjoy sitting outside in the evenings and a few of the kids will threaten my mother and call her very foul names for absolutely no reason. They'll also threaten my family and myself because they know they can get away with it.

We have a "property management firm" that manages the complex. I have contacted them on numerous occasions regarding problems only to be told "you need to call the police". Many of these problems have been civil matters involving violations of our CC&R's or rules which the police wouldn't get involved in. They told me that if I have a problem with one of the tenants I should write a letter to the property management firm who will forward it to the landlord.

I am wondering what the rights and responsibilities are of a property management firm? They seem to not care about anything. Also, what power does the Homeowners Association have?

Can someone help us out before things get any worse?

Thanks for your response.
**A: your first mistake was buying into a HOA project with a high % of rentals. Next, you needed to put the property management company and the HOA board on written notice of the infractions citing the CC&R's. The property management company works for the HOA so contact your Board President etc.
Search for more info at www.caionline.org

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">