• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Rules Regarding Boats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Firefly1014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

We received a violation letter stating:

It is my responsibility as Manager of the Homeowners' Association to warn you that you are in violation of the governing documents, in that you have had a boat parked in your driveway on a regular basis. According to the Rules and Regulations, boats may be parked on the property "for a period not exceeding 24 hours for the purpose of loading/unloading or washing." Complaints received indicate that the boat remains on the property long after these specific activities are performed.

The letter went on to say, this may result in a fine and I have the right to appeal, etc.

This was my response:

I am appealing the complaint regarding our boat. The Rules and Regulations Handbook states "May be parked only in driveways for a period not exceeding 24 hours for the purpose of loading/unloading or washing". The rule doesn't define a time frame, i.e., 24 hours per week, 24 hours per month, etc. nor is the wording "regular basis" cited.

Since the Handbook doesn't define a time frame within a 24-hour period and doesn't mention "regular basis", our 24-hour period would restart whenever our boat leaves the premises. The complaintants don't have all the facts because my husband fishes every day. Ever time our boat returns, it IS being loaded/unloaded and washed and unless the complaintants have us under 24-hour surveillance, there is no merit to this allegation we are in violation by exceeding the 24 hour period for the purpose of loading/unloading or washing.

Perhaps I could better inform you if I was provided with specific dates our boat has exceeded the 24-hour period. Any implication that our boat is being stored on our property would also be unjustified because we have obtained storage elsewhere and that will be evident when boating season is over.

Sincerely,

In the Executive Session of the board meeting last night, we stated our case referring to our letter. We asked the board to define a "24 hour period" and we received no answer. The board members gave their opinions and they said just that. "In my opinion" "that's not acceptable in a townhouse community" and "the 24-hour rule was not intended that way". We were informed that we would be fined or they may decide to tow our boat.

The boat is a 16' aluminum fishing boat parked behind a 6' tall row of hedges that runs alongside the right of our driveway. We have a pick up truck and an SUV. The boat is barely visible from the street.

My first question, does anyone agree or disagree with their decision? My second question, does a Handbook override the Bylaws which does not mention parking boats on our property?

Thanks for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

divgradcurl

My first question, does anyone agree or disagree with their decision?
Whether or not anyone agrees or disagrees with this is largely irrelevant. HOA's have very broad powers to pretty much do whatever they want.

My second question, does a Handbook override the Bylaws which does not mention parking boats on our property?
You are not going to win this battle. Park your boat elsewhere, or pay the fines.

hoahell

Does you by laws say anything about commercial business

being handled on the property. I know mine states that no commercial activity can be performed in homes. So it sounds like you are using your home for commercial purposes so if that is the case, be careful they don't come back and get you for that.

I would approach the situation a different way, perhaps try to negotiate a better location for the boat during loading and unloading. Do you have a backyard? Perhaps you are annoying your neighbors with a stinky boat? Foul smells are also another thing that they could get you on, if its in your bylaws yaddi yaddi. Best to not fight and try to resolve this as amicably as possible and figure out what their true pet peave is so that you can better negotiate your possition. (smell, unsightly, in the way, etc)

nextwife

**A: heck, cut off a section of the bow and it will fit perfectly.
:D:D My friend built her house on a private airstrip, and she pulls her entire plane iinto her garage! The deed restrictions actually have all sorts of specifics about the whens etc of taxying the planes down subdivision roads.

Firefly1014

being handled on the property. I know mine states that no commercial activity can be performed in homes. So it sounds like you are using your home for commercial purposes so if that is the case, be careful they don't come back and get you for that.

I would approach the situation a different way, perhaps try to negotiate a better location for the boat during loading and unloading. Do you have a backyard? Perhaps you are annoying your neighbors with a stinky boat? Foul smells are also another thing that they could get you on, if its in your bylaws yaddi yaddi. Best to not fight and try to resolve this as amicably as possible and figure out what their true pet peave is so that you can better negotiate your possition. (smell, unsightly, in the way, etc)
It's strictly a pleasure boat for family fishing as we live approx. 2 miles from a lake. Yes, we have a backyard, but it's connected to the common ground and we not allowed to drive on it.

HomeGuru

It's strictly a pleasure boat for family fishing as we live approx. 2 miles from a lake. Yes, we have a backyard, but it's connected to the common ground and we not allowed to drive on it.
**A: time to get a smaller boat that fits in the garage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">