• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA trying to make us pay back dues for Country club

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toadfishcc

TX,

I live in a new development, the HOA has never charged dues to date. We received our first bill for current dues on April 15th. In this bill are charges associated with back payment to the social membership at a local Country Club which is stipulated for in the HOA.

The HOA states that my means to pay these dues is through the HOA, not to the Country Club. I am willing to now become a member of the club and stay current through my HOA dues. I do not feel that I owe for past dues to the Club due to not receiving benefits from the club and I checked and have never been signed up as an active member. All homeowners are in my situation.

Should I be held liable for the past dues? My feeling is no since the HOA in essence has just begun billing me. They are trying to bill me for dues from 2008 and 2009.

2 items I have received: statement from HOA on April 15th 2010 stating this is the first bill ever issued.
Welcome letter from country club dated April 15th 2010 stating to come sign up and all dues will be paid through my HOA.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Without knowing what the CCRs and the articles and bylaws of your HOA we can't guess whether this is proper or not. Since you seem not to be the only one adversely affected you might band together with some of your neighbors to query the board of the HOA and/or consult a lawyer.

HomeGuru

TX,

I live in a new development, the HOA has never charged dues to date. We received our first bill for current dues on April 15th. In this bill are charges associated with back payment to the social membership at a local Country Club which is stipulated for in the HOA.

The HOA states that my means to pay these dues is through the HOA, not to the Country Club. I am willing to now become a member of the club and stay current through my HOA dues. I do not feel that I owe for past dues to the Club due to not receiving benefits from the club and I checked and have never been signed up as an active member. All homeowners are in my situation.

Should I be held liable for the past dues? My feeling is no since the HOA in essence has just begun billing me. They are trying to bill me for dues from 2008 and 2009.

2 items I have received: statement from HOA on April 15th 2010 stating this is the first bill ever issued.
Welcome letter from country club dated April 15th 2010 stating to come sign up and all dues will be paid through my HOA.

Thanks for the help.

**A: from inception was the HOA responsible for collecting Country Club dues and was CC membership included in the HOA?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">