• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home built on wrong property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlcagain2003

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have recently purchased a modular home and land. The business that sold me the house hired all of the contractors to perform all work on the land and house installation. A preliminary walk through on the land was done with the contractor and myself to decide where we thought the house would be best suited. The land was then cleared and the house placed on a permanent foundation without any additional consultation with me. It has recently come to my attention that the home was placed approximately 50' past my property line on someone else's land. The company is now claiming that it was my decision to put it there even though they had all of the land specs and performed all of the construction. They are now assuming that I will need to purchase the land that the home is on provided that the land owner will sell. What can I do to protect myself from a lawsuit from the current owner of the land and protect my investment without having to pay any additional money for a mistake that was made by the company and their representatives?

justalayman

if you told them where to put the house, it is your responsibility for it being in the wrong place. The house installers are not required to double check your information.
What can I do to protect myself from a lawsuit from the current owner of the land and protect my investment without having to pay any additional money for a mistake that was made by the company and their representatives?
Whose mistake this is is yet to be determined from what you posted. If it is your fault, you will beed to pay the extra costs to move the house to your property.

If it is somehow the installers fault, you need to have them correct the problem at their expense.

nextwife

And who hired the surveyor who staked out the foundation location? PLEASE don't tell me you actually built or placed a house without benefit of a survey during the process?

tlcagain2003

And who hired the surveyor who staked out the foundation location? PLEASE don't tell me you actually built or placed a house without benefit of a survey during the process?
The land was surveyed prior to the purchase of the land. The survey was purchased by the real estate company that sold the land. The land and home were purchased through the company that I bought the house from (they did all of the contract work and assured me that they would handle everything from this point forward). When we did the original walkthrough I was told it was just to get a feel of the land and where we thought the house would be placed. I was told by the contractor that we would be consulted with before anything was put in place. There was no more contact with me from this point forward. They actually came in and poured the footers without my knowledge and they even placed them in an area that was different than the one we had informally talked about before.

justalayman

if they put in in a place other than what you indicated, it is on them and I would expect them to correct the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">