• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Guru or Tracey, Smoke Issues

• Thread starter Still inhaling smoke
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Still inhaling smoke

Hi,
you guys were kind enough to give me a question about the lingering smells of smoke in our appartment a couple weeks ago. You advised me to go for the difference between rent in a 2 bathroom and rent in a one bathroom since one bathroom is totally off limits because of the lingering smoke.

so they have agree, BUT my question is, they are only offereing 40 dollar discount per month on a 940 a month lease, is this adequate? If you don't know off hand how would I properly arrive at a given / fair value. Also, we have lived in this appartment for 8 weeks. Do we have a right to request compensation, such as a free months rent or at least back concession. Again, these appartments are billed as "luxury' ha ha, and have been anything but that? so what do I do next. thanks

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Still inhaling smoke:
Hi,
you guys were kind enough to give me a question about the lingering smells of smoke in our appartment a couple weeks ago. You advised me to go for the difference between rent in a 2 bathroom and rent in a one bathroom since one bathroom is totally off limits because of the lingering smoke.

so they have agree, BUT my question is, they are only offereing 40 dollar discount per month on a 940 a month lease, is this adequate? If you don't know off hand how would I properly arrive at a given / fair value. Also, we have lived in this appartment for 8 weeks. Do we have a right to request compensation, such as a free months rent or at least back concession. Again, these appartments are billed as "luxury' ha ha, and have been anything but that? so what do I do next. thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are there any rentals in the building with only 1 bathroom? If so, how much are they renting for? $40 a month for a bathroom is too cheap. That is only a little over a dollar a day. Equivalent to a carton of smokes. I spend more than that on toilet paper every month. I would say that $100-150 per month is reasonable, especially for a luxury (cough, cough, hack) building. Plus have them throw in a HEPA air purifier/filtration device and a trip to either the Bahamas or Hawaii for some fresh air. Lastly, have then post signs on the entry doors of each apartment stating "WARNING: Living in this building is hazardous to your health. Enter at your own risk. Contact the US Surgeon General for additional information 1-800-SMOKE-KILLS."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">