• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Improvements, Taxes and what year do they belong in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klucich

MO

This is probably not the place for this question, but I don't know where else to look. We have made some home improvements; siding, windows, gutters, etc. I am aware I need to keep these receipts for when we sell the home, but also what about taxes? Can I deduct any of these items? The 21 windows all have energy star ratings. Also to confuse me, is we wrote the contracts, made deposits on the siding and gutters, and paid for the windows completely before end of 2013. We finished paying for the siding and gutters in 2014. All the work was performed in 2014. What year does this go into then?

Thanks!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
MO

This is probably not the place for this question, but I don't know where else to look. We have made some home improvements; siding, windows, gutters, etc. I am aware I need to keep these receipts for when we sell the home, but also what about taxes? Can I deduct any of these items? The 21 windows all have energy star ratings. Also to confuse me, is we wrote the contracts, made deposits on the siding and gutters, and paid for the windows completely before end of 2013. We finished paying for the siding and gutters in 2014. All the work was performed in 2014. What year does this go into then?

Thanks!
This is a question for your accountant/tax preparer. :cool:

LdiJ

MO

Thanks!
Federally, there is a small tax credit available (maximum 500.00) for energy efficiency improvements, like windows, but that is all. Some states also have small energy credits or deductions as well. I don't know about MO.

klucich

Federally, there is a small tax credit available (maximum 500.00) for energy efficiency improvements, like windows, but that is all. Some states also have small energy credits or deductions as well. I don't know about MO.
Thanks you guys. I will need to have to hire one this year anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">