• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

home owners association fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mdw1221

Texas, Am i responsible for the paying of delinquent home owners association fees for a house i occupied with my ex husband? i am on the decree, pro-forma, but i am not on the mortgage. we legally separated in 97 divorced in 99. the fees were for sometime in 99 i believe. i received no notification until the association got a lawyer in 2000. pls help

HomeGuru

If you were on title during the time the fees were due, then you are responsible. Separation, divorce etc. makes no difference with respect to legal obligation to pay HOA fees. Even if your divorce decree stated that ex is responsible to pay, you remain legally liable to the HOA.

M

mdw1221

HOA fees

Even though I'm on the deed as pro-forma, I am still responsible?

HomeGuru

I don't think you know what you are talking about.
There is a difference between a divorce decree and a deed to the property.
Have an attorney review both for you.

M

mdw1221

hoa

I know, I'm sorry, I had typed decree in the first question. But I do know the difference. On the deed of trust, it says, his name herein joined pro forma by me. In the divorce decree , he was awarded the house because it was purchased with inheritance money. But that's another story. Anyway, my question is, just because I was on the deed , I am responsible for the HOA fees?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">