• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Purchase Inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dangiust

What is the name of your state? Florida

I purchased a home 10 months ago and paid for an inspection which stated that the roof on the home I was purchasing had a life of 12 years plus. Since closing on the house and taking ownership I have discovered a leak in the roof which prompted me to seek professional roofing advice on how to fix the problem. While inspecting the leak, the roofer inspected the entire roof and informed me that the roof was in very poor condition and needed replaced. The roofer was also surprised that the roof was replaced 4 - 5 years ago and that it passed county code inspection.

Do I have any legal recourse against the home inspector or the previous owner?

HomeGuru

Dangiust said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I purchased a home 10 months ago and paid for an inspection which stated that the roof on the home I was purchasing had a life of 12 years plus.

**A: read your inspection contract and the standards of practice. In general, most home inspection standards do not require a home inspector to give an estimated life of a building component. That is outside the scope of a home inspection.

Since closing on the house and taking ownership I have discovered a leak in the roof which prompted me to seek professional roofing advice on how to fix the problem. While inspecting the leak, the roofer inspected the entire roof and informed me that the roof was in very poor condition and needed replaced.

**A: did the home inspector arrive at the same conclusion?

The roofer was also surprised that the roof was replaced 4 - 5 years ago and that it passed county code inspection.

**A: what is so surprising about that?

Do I have any legal recourse against the home inspector or the previous owner?
**A: possibly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">