• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner with Ex father-in-law on deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Charmyn

I live in New Hampshire and I own a condo but my ex father-in-law is on the deed and need to get him removed. My question is, is he entitled to my equity or can he force me to buy him out when he has paid nothing towards the mortgage or taxes in the four years I have owned it? In my opinon he is not invested and not entitled to anything. He gave me 3,000 as a gift to put down on the house but he wrote that off on his taxes as a gift. Please help.

HomeGuru

As a deedholder, he is entitled to interest in the property.
You can sue for partition if you disagree.

C

Charmyn

I understand to a point. I understand that because his name is on the deed that he is part owner. But how is it that he is entitled to monies? He has contributed nothing, it doesn't seem fair that he can sit back and ride on my coat tails while I am the one doing all the investing. How can that be? Do I have anything going for me in regards to all this or am I going to get the shaft on this?:confused:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">