• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner Hell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SpeckKiller

I have just been informed that I have toxic mold in one of my downstairs rooms. I filed a claim with my homeowners insurance and the claim adjuster said that my claim would be denied because the problem was being caused by what he refered to as surface water and that is excluded from my policy. He said that because of the way the room was built by the previous owner, rain water was hitting the slab and seeping into the wall and that is considered surface water. Since this time I have found out through neighbors that the room in question was added after the home was originally built. I also found out that during a previous hurricane the room had some slight flooding. I have owned this home for 2 1/2 years. I went through the old property disclosure and discovered that the seller answered no to the question of whether the home had any additions, remodeling. or improvements. He also answered no to the question of whether the property had flooded or not. What legal rights do I have. It seems to me as though this is property disclosure fraud. Remediation of the mold problem is quite expensive and don't feel as though I should be held resonsible for a previous condition. Any advice would be quite appreciated.

HomeGuru

Contact an attorney right away. If need be you must sue your insurance company.
There have been recent cases similar to yours whereby the homeowners had to sue their own insurance company over the toxic mold issue.

S

SpeckKiller

Thanks so much for replying. I kind of figured that so I have allready made an appointment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">