• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner rights against liens being filed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juliej

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL

After 6 years, I was informed by the North Shore Sanitary District in Lake Co.
that if I didn't pay monies owed from an old tenant, that they were going to put a lien on my property. I have done some research and found out that the NSSD sent the bill for collection, under the tenant's name back in 1999, in the amount of approximately 38.00. They closed that account in Jan. 2000 because they didn't get any results. Some how the amount owed is $177. The tentant moved out in June 1999. The collection agency said the extended amount was for legal fees. I questioned NSSD and was told no that was not true, that it was for additional services...which I do not believe.
For 6 years I was never contacted regarding this bill. My daughter moved into the house in Aug, 1999 and I have moved back in 2002. We never received any notice regarding this issue. I was told by the manager that they could not collect from the tenant and time was running out for them so they're going after me, the homeowner. I was told if I don't pay they will but a lien on my house and charge me additional charges. I asked what they have done since 2000 to try to collect from the tenant. She told me that they have done nothing until now. They can no longer use collection agencies and do not have the resources to track people down. I was told it is in thier ordinance that they can go after the homeowners with the liens.
I read it, it states if the user is deliquient ....... it doesn't mention renters and homeowners - only mentions user - which I feel is the tenant because the account was in her name. The manager told me they consider the 'land' the user - but that is not specified. I want to fight this. How can they get away with threatening me with a lien when they hadn't contacted me in 6 years - or go after the tenant for 5 years. Is there anything I can do?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

juliej said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL

After 6 years, I was informed by the North Shore Sanitary District in Lake Co.
that if I didn't pay monies owed from an old tenant, that they were going to put a lien on my property. I have done some research and found out that the NSSD sent the bill for collection, under the tenant's name back in 1999, in the amount of approximately 38.00. They closed that account in Jan. 2000 because they didn't get any results. Some how the amount owed is $177. The tentant moved out in June 1999. The collection agency said the extended amount was for legal fees. I questioned NSSD and was told no that was not true, that it was for additional services...which I do not believe.
For 6 years I was never contacted regarding this bill. My daughter moved into the house in Aug, 1999 and I have moved back in 2002. We never received any notice regarding this issue. I was told by the manager that they could not collect from the tenant and time was running out for them so they're going after me, the homeowner. I was told if I don't pay they will but a lien on my house and charge me additional charges. I asked what they have done since 2000 to try to collect from the tenant. She told me that they have done nothing until now. They can no longer use collection agencies and do not have the resources to track people down. I was told it is in thier ordinance that they can go after the homeowners with the liens.
I read it, it states if the user is deliquient ....... it doesn't mention renters and homeowners - only mentions user - which I feel is the tenant because the account was in her name. The manager told me they consider the 'land' the user - but that is not specified. I want to fight this. How can they get away with threatening me with a lien when they hadn't contacted me in 6 years - or go after the tenant for 5 years. Is there anything I can do?
**A: yes, pay the damn bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">