• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner's Assocation Nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

darla253

Hi, I live in Texas and we purchased a home about five years ago. It's been nothing short of a nightmare. The Homeowner's Assocation out here is made up of a bunch of nosey people who keep changing the rules. Our dues have increased by ten dollars yet they do nothing to make it look any nicer out here. We're outside the city limits so it's considered private property. In order to protect ourselves from lawsuits if anyone comes onto our property uninvited we have a sign up that says private property as do most of the people out here. They've now decided that we have to take our signs down, they want pictures of our pets, want to be notified if we have company, say that we are not allowed to rent our homes out (even though we own), and they have what they call a beautification committee and they drive around and if they don't like the way your yard looks you get a $25 fine. I know this all can't be legal so where do I start in order to show them they can't do this. Isn't a Homeowner's Assocation suppose to be a non paid position? Ours use to be but now they've decided that the one woman that works a total of 12 hours a week deserves $2850 a month in pay. It's a joke but we owe too much on our home to sell and since we built it we hate to have to do that. Please help!

HomeGuru

darla253 said:
Hi, I live in Texas and we purchased a home about five years ago. It's been nothing short of a nightmare. The Homeowner's Assocation out here is made up of a bunch of nosey people who keep changing the rules. Our dues have increased by ten dollars yet they do nothing to make it look any nicer out here. We're outside the city limits so it's considered private property. In order to protect ourselves from lawsuits if anyone comes onto our property uninvited we have a sign up that says private property as do most of the people out here. They've now decided that we have to take our signs down, they want pictures of our pets, want to be notified if we have company, say that we are not allowed to rent our homes out (even though we own), and they have what they call a beautification committee and they drive around and if they don't like the way your yard looks you get a $25 fine. I know this all can't be legal so where do I start in order to show them they can't do this.

**A: hire an attorney.

Isn't a Homeowner's Assocation suppose to be a non paid position?

**A: no.
Ours use to be but now they've decided that the one woman that works a total of 12 hours a week deserves $2850 a month in pay.

**A: apply for the job and offer to work 20 hours a week for the same pay.

It's a joke but we owe too much on our home to sell and since we built it we hate to have to do that. Please help!
**A: good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">