• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners Association Late Fees & Should I yield?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thfcme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I received a legal notice from my Home Owners Association threatening action against me, and that all of these fees would be my responsibility (thousands of dollars).

According to the notice I owe $192. I was confused because I paid my dues in January, so I asked for historical details. They responded promptly (strangely at 8pm), and it all stems from my July payment (dues are paid twice per year). Apparently I was $38 short and they've been charging $25 a month (not every month but 4 months out of the 8 since July).

I sent back a note saying that I had no idea about these late fees, and wanted evidence of a bill detailing these late fees. I was sent a note quickly, with an attached bill they said they sent in December that detailed the late fees. I never received this, I would have remembered such a bill..

So I really want to know what do I do now. I know that its not a huge amount of money to many, although I am upset at the fact that these are all 'late fees' and not any dues that I have paid. I asked that the late fees be waived, but they simply responded to me to refer to the deliquentcy notice. i.e. 'Whatever, face this legal action'.

* Should I fear this legal action? Would an HOA really spend thousands of dollars pursuing $197 (that is not even going towards the 'dues' they are imposed late fees)
* Do they have the power to kick me out of my home?
* Should I put my tail between my legs and pay the late fees in $1 notes?

Any help would be appreciated. I haven't even used the pool in the local community (cry)

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I received a legal notice from my Home Owners Association threatening action against me, and that all of these fees would be my responsibility (thousands of dollars).

According to the notice I owe $192. I was confused because I paid my dues in January, so I asked for historical details. They responded promptly (strangely at 8pm), and it all stems from my July payment (dues are paid twice per year). Apparently I was $38 short and they've been charging $25 a month (not every month but 4 months out of the 8 since July).

I sent back a note saying that I had no idea about these late fees, and wanted evidence of a bill detailing these late fees. I was sent a note quickly, with an attached bill they said they sent in December that detailed the late fees. I never received this, I would have remembered such a bill..

So I really want to know what do I do now. I know that its not a huge amount of money to many, although I am upset at the fact that these are all 'late fees' and not any dues that I have paid. I asked that the late fees be waived, but they simply responded to me to refer to the deliquentcy notice. i.e. 'Whatever, face this legal action'.

* Should I fear this legal action? Would an HOA really spend thousands of dollars pursuing $197 (that is not even going towards the 'dues' they are imposed late fees)
* Do they have the power to kick me out of my home?
* Should I put my tail between my legs and pay the late fees in $1 notes?

Any help would be appreciated. I haven't even used the pool in the local community (cry)

**A: if the HOA docs allow the charges then you are up a creek. Is it fuzzy math? $25 X 4 months is only $100 and not thousands. Or maybe you did not explain things too well.

thfcme

The late fees total $190 which include 4 months of penalties, the $38 shortfall from July, and some admin fees, which all total $190.

I don't know why they only charge late fees for 4 months and not every month since July.

When I say 1000s, that is the amount they are threatening me with if they take legal action against me. (If I do not pay the $190)

I hope this explains it better.

HomeGuru

Oh, it is a no brainer. Pay up. The answer to your 3 questions are yes, yes and no ( pay with large bills)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">