• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House basement violates egress (emergency escape) code. Options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Displacement

King county, Washington

I live in an older house which violates practically every egress code the county has. I assume my landlord (I rent) knows about this but just hopes no one will say anything. The Window in the bedroom downstairs and the front door both completely violate the law. I might add as a second note, I have 2 Other roommates upstairs (3 bedroom) that I hate living with.

With that said, what are my options going forward? Can I get out of the lease Scott free? Will the landlady have a chance to make upgrades? Will I need to hire legal assistance? Any help at all is appreciated.

STEPHAN

Did the LL recently make any changes?

The house might be grandfathered in.

You can always talk to the city to find out if it is legal to rent it out like this.

Displacement

They've only mentioned it was renovated in the 1970s or something. And yeah I found the same thing about the grandfather situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">