• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House built without permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

duli

I live in Northern California in a house
that was built without a permit. Can the county or state force me off my land or
do anything else to make life difficult?
thanks
Duli

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by duli:
I live in Northern California in a house
that was built without a permit. Can the county or state force me off my land or
do anything else to make life difficult?
thanks
Duli
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your question is too broad. In general if a building permit was/is required, your house is considered an illegal improvemment. Depending on the situation, the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) could force you to apply for a building permit or remove the illegal structure. There may be various government jurisdictions involved such as the City/Council Building/Housing/Zoning/Land Use Department governing building, housing and zoning codes, land use ordinances and restrictions, State Health Dept. in charge of cesspools, septic tanks etc., Federal government if the property is built on wetlands, BLM land etc. Does the real property tax office assess the land only or the land and improvement for real property taxes? You may not be paying the required real property taxes.

Is the home designed and built to code (California Building and/or UBC) and was the respective work completed by licensed contractors in accordance with State law?
Were the plans and specifications drawn and written by licensed architects and engineers? Did these respective design consultants observe the work "under construction" and complete a final inspection? Many other questions arise such as completion of survey and survey map, topo map, soils test, grading/excavation inspection, foundation inspection, rough-in framing inspection, electrical and plumbing inspection, drywall inspection, roofing inspection, siding/EIFS inspection, continuous load path inspections etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">