• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Valerie Russo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I own a townhouse with my 85 year old father... right now just both our names are on the deed...
My dad wants to take his name off and put the names of my brother and my 2 sons on the deed, so then we each own 1/4...
Is this a good idea to do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I own a townhouse with my 85 year old father... right now just both our names are on the deed...
My dad wants to take his name off and put the names of my brother and my 2 sons on the deed, so then we each own 1/4...
Personally, I think your father is setting the stage for years of family strife...

With that said, why does he wish to do this?

Valerie Russo

he's doing this he said so to be fair to my brother, my sons and I...
and something about saving on taxes or something.. I don't know.. I really don't understand it..
but I'm not happy about it... my brother isn't married and has no children and my 2 sons will get the house anyway...
I just think there is going to be problems... but when I tell my dad this, he just says that I'm not willing to be fair...

Valerie Russo

Also I told my dad that if one of us wants to sell then the others would have to buy him out but he said that the NON seller will over rule the seller... so if one of us wants to sell, they can't unless the other 3 agree.... is that correct??

LdiJ

he's doing this he said so to be fair to my brother, my sons and I...
and something about saving on taxes or something.. I don't know.. I really don't understand it..
but I'm not happy about it... my brother isn't married and has no children and my 2 sons will get the house anyway...
I just think there is going to be problems... but when I tell my dad this, he just says that I'm not willing to be fair...
He never should have put any of your names on it in the first place. People think that they are saving their children time and money by adding them to the deed but in reality, they are normally costing them money.

Lets say that your dad purchased the condo 25 years ago for 50k and its worth 150k now. If he had not put your names on the deed and you just inherited the property, then you would get a stepped up basis and would pay no capital gains tax if you sell the condo. However, by putting your name on the deed he gifted you the property and therefore your basis is his basis and you would pay capital gains tax on 100k.

Technically, at this point your father only owns half of the condo, you own the other half. Therefore he cannot deed 1/4 each to your brother and your two sons, because he doesn't own 3/4s. Therefore, in order to accomplish what he wants to accomplish you would have to deed half of your share to one of them to make it all 1/4 for each of you.

That subjects you to perhaps having to file a gift tax return. He should have filed a gift tax return when he added you to the deed, and he will also have to file a gift tax return if he adds any of the others to the deed.

Now, it could all be different if the condo is worth less than it was when he bought it and/or its worth very little.

Valerie Russo

It's not expensive at all... we bought it cash for $50,000.. and maybe it went up $3,000.... it's not in a good neighborhood so I don't see it ever really going up...
I don't want to do this with each getting a 1/4, but I live here and I suppose to keep the peace, I'm forced...

justalayman

You cannot prevent your father from giving away or selling his share of the property. He cannot do anything with your share of the property. He can give no more in total than a 1/2 share of the whole since you own the other half.

Valerie Russo

I know that... but to keep the peace since we all live together, I'm going to be forced to give up my 1/2 to make all 1/4....
It's not my sons... I'd rather the house was just in my son's names, but it's my brother that's bugging me... I paid into this house, he hasn't..
Maybe I'm being petty....

latigo

No, it is not a good idea. In fact it is a terrible idea from your standpoint. If you will bear with me I'll try to explain.

First, unless the deed you mention transferred a disparity in ownership, that is in unequal proportions, then you and pop each own an equal undivided interest of the whole. Which makes you are tenants in common owning property in an estate in cotenancy.

And for numerous reasons owning land as co-tenants (co-owners) is the worst way to hold title. (Particularly as here where the property cannot be evenly carved up and fairly distributed between the co-owners.)

For example, the whole property cannot be sold without all co-tenants in agreement and neither can compel another to sell to them or force them to buy out their interest. Nor can one co-tenant dictate to whom another co-tenant might be willing to sell their undivided half interest. And whomever that might be would have equal rights to the possession of the townhouse

And when a stalemate arise - as more often than not happens - where one wants out and the other won't sell or buy, the only recourse is a time consuming and extremely costly legal action known as "partition". Which results in the property being put on the auction block at a sheriff's sale.

So, if the plan goes through, you would be dealing not with one co-owner but three.

But again, whereas you cannot prevent pop from selling off his undivided share to any number of people, you cannot be forced to give up any part of your 50%.

If I where you and wanted to retain ownership of the townhouse, I would try to get pop to sell me his interest and perhaps reserving in him a life estate.

And you might explain to him that if he deeds out his 50% interest, then he is out of the house and the other three move in.

LdiJ

I know that... but to keep the peace since we all live together, I'm going to be forced to give up my 1/2 to make all 1/4....
It's not my sons... I'd rather the house was just in my son's names, but it's my brother that's bugging me... I paid into this house, he hasn't..
Define what you mean by "paid into this house". My advice might be different depending on your answer.

justalayman

Keeping the peace with whom? Apparently not you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">