• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Guest Dies Intestate in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OldFriend

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I have an old friend that returned to the area and was living in one of my extra bedrooms. He had last stayed here in 2007 and left for parts unknown leaving bins of personal property. I saved it in the garage and he came back to the area about a year ago and I let him stay in the room again. He had his car full of his possessions no furniture or anything and he basically stayed in the room. I hardly ever saw him.

We had no written agreement, not even a verbal even. Every couple of weeks he would leave some money on the TV in the living room and that was that.

He recently passed away and after he died I spent a week finding a relative. I found some and they are going to be coming down to get his stuff. I have nothing against them or him but now I am hearing that lawyers will want me to sign affidavits and who knows what.

What is my exposure here. Do I have to do anything other then save his stuff until they come? What if they take months to come? I had to move everything in the room to track down all the by products of becoming sick and getting close to death in one room over months are they going to be able to give me grief about that?

I can't afford a lawyer and they haven't done anything to make me think I need one I just haven't been able to find anything on what I am required by law to do. Morally I know what to do and I'm fine with helping them. They can have the stuff in his room and some of my junk too for that matter.

I am also curious as I don't know when they are coming and I need to clear that room out down to the floor boards to get rid of some of the odors. Which I was going to do anyway even if he hadn't come this just delayed things.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I have an old friend that returned to the area and was living in one of my extra bedrooms. He had last stayed here in 2007 and left for parts unknown leaving bins of personal property. I saved it in the garage and he came back to the area about a year ago and I let him stay in the room again. He had his car full of his possessions no furniture or anything and he basically stayed in the room. I hardly ever saw him.

We had no written agreement, not even a verbal even. Every couple of weeks he would leave some money on the TV in the living room and that was that.

He recently passed away and after he died I spent a week finding a relative. I found some and they are going to be coming down to get his stuff. I have nothing against them or him but now I am hearing that lawyers will want me to sign affidavits and who knows what.

What is my exposure here. Do I have to do anything other then save his stuff until they come? What if they take months to come? I had to move everything in the room to track down all the by products of becoming sick and getting close to death in one room over months are they going to be able to give me grief about that?

I can't afford a lawyer and they haven't done anything to make me think I need one I just haven't been able to find anything on what I am required by law to do. Morally I know what to do and I'm fine with helping them. They can have the stuff in his room and some of my junk too for that matter.

I am also curious as I don't know when they are coming and I need to clear that room out down to the floor boards to get rid of some of the odors. Which I was going to do anyway even if he hadn't come this just delayed things.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You are free to pack up his stuff and deal with the room as you need to. Save his packed up stuff in the garage just like you did before.

OldFriend

Thank you so much

I wanted to thank you for answering me and for the obvious time you invest in helping others.

de mortuis nil nisi bonum

divona2000

...He recently passed away and after he died I spent a week finding a relative. I found some and they are going to be coming down to get his stuff...now I am hearing that lawyers will want me to sign affidavits...They can have the stuff in his room and some of my junk too for that matter...
Just make sure that these relatives have the legal right to take this person's property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">