• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house lease agreement /room mate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

middleman?

maybe someone can help me ? i live in connectiut .i am renting a house from a land lord .the lease agreement is from jan.15 2000 to jan.15 2001 . the lease agreement was a very simple basic one , stating we have to keep the yard up . and maintain the grounds and the lenght of the lease ,as well as the monthly a mount due each month .the second page just had a spot for the names of the people living there which is myself , my roomate ,and her 6 year old son .i have always paid the rent on time , kept the yard looking nice , even the land lord could not believe how nice the yard was .i have decided that i am not renewing the lease myself. and i am sending the land lord written notice at the end of oct . 2000 so it gives him 2and a half months notice that i myself am not renewing . my room mate wont give me an anser to what she is doing .i dont want any trouble with the land lord over this .i am not involved with my room mate in any way shape or form . i do my thing she does hers .my question is can she start trouble for me by not telling the land lord whats going on .i paid the security deposit and first months rent myself . because she did not have the money . the rent is always there by the first of the month and i never bother him about repairs , which i end up doing myself . any advice would be great

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by middleman?:
maybe someone can help me ? i live in connectiut .i am renting a house from a land lord .the lease agreement is from jan.15 2000 to jan.15 2001 . the lease agreement was a very simple basic one , stating we have to keep the yard up . and maintain the grounds and the lenght of the lease ,as well as the monthly a mount due each month .the second page just had a spot for the names of the people living there which is myself , my roomate ,and her 6 year old son .i have always paid the rent on time , kept the yard looking nice , even the land lord could not believe how nice the yard was .i have decided that i am not renewing the lease myself. and i am sending the land lord written notice at the end of oct . 2000 so it gives him 2and a half months notice that i myself am not renewing . my room mate wont give me an anser to what she is doing .i dont want any trouble with the land lord over this .i am not involved with my room mate in any way shape or form . i do my thing she does hers .my question is can she start trouble for me by not telling the land lord whats going on .i paid the security deposit and first months rent myself . because she did not have the money . the rent is always there by the first of the month and i never bother him about repairs , which i end up doing myself . any advice would be great <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to make sure that L terminates the lease agreement with you and deals with the roommate separately if the rommmate wants to stay longer. Send L a written notice that the lease will not be renewed upon expiration and if L wants to continue an arrangement with the roommate a new lease agreement must be signed directly between L and the roommate. Give roomie a copy of the letter and have her sign for receipt.

T

Tracey

Also be sure to remind L that you paid all the deposit and are entitled to all the refund.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">